Finance and Administration Officer
Fallujah Office (with travel to program locations in Anbar & occasional travel to Baghdad)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
To support financial transactions, administrative tasks, and HR procedures in Anbar working in coordination with the Base Manager, Support Team Leader, Anbar program teams, other departments (logistics, procurement, etc.) and with the South Central finance team and to ensure compliance with DRC procedures.. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Oversee the finance assistant with completions of Anbar office payments in accordance with the laid out internal controls
• Daily entry of payments into cashbooks and consult with Budget holders regarding cost allocations
• Sending cashbooks to Finance Manager by the stipulated deadlines and ensuring that cash/bank reconciliations are completed accurately
• Monitor bi-weekly finance tracker and help Baghdad Sr. Finance Officer in responding comments related to the Anbar cash book.
• Conduct daily cash counts with the Finance Assistant and ensure cash certificates are signed, or otherwise, cash differences are reconciled and reported per the requirements of the DRC handbook
• Help budget holders and Base Manager in monthly project clean up exercises and propose possible rebookings to the South Central Finance Manager in the standard DRC template
• Monitor the Falluja office cash flow levels on a weekly basis and advise the Base Manager and Finance Manger accordingly
• Prepare the bi-weekly funds forecast and request cash transfer orders for replenishment of the Falluja office for timely submission to Finance Manager
• Review and verification of documentation provided for payments at the Falluja Office to ensure that it is adequate and in line with DRC Iraq’s internal control procedures prior to payment completion
• Ensure proper referencing of documents and proper filing and archiving of Finance vouchers per the guidelines of DRC scanning procedures and scan copy/hard binders are shared with the South Central Finance Manager on monthly basis
• Support the Base Manager on field level donor/internal/external audits
• Keep the Fallujah Office inventory records updated in cooperation with Fallujah Supply Chain Department and assist in performing random physical inventories/stock taking
HR & Admin:
• Serve as the main HR focal point in Anbar and support the South Central HR team and Base Manager with recruitments, contracts, performance evaluation process, disciplinary action, implementation of the Code of Conduct, payroll preparation, sign-in/sign-out procedures and other HR duties
• In coordination with the Base Manager and Support Team Leader, plan and implement staff capacity building initiatives in accordance with available budgets
• In coordination with the Finance & Admin Assistant, track all contracts (office leases, internet contracts, etc.) and ensure payments are done in a timely manner and contracts are renewed on-time as required
• Assist the Support Team Leader with maintaining the Fallujah office & guesthouse and the HTC and AAF sub-offices as needed
• Main liaison with the South Central finance, admin, and HR teams and ensure strong communication and coordination
• Provide day-to-day oversight of the Finance and Admin Assistant and potential additional future Finance, Admin, or HR staff. Oversee technical capacity building and training, delegate responsibilities, and provide guidance and feedback on their performance in coordination with the Support Team Leader
• Ensure all processes are completed in accordance with the DRC Operations Handbook, SOPs, donor guidelines, and Iraqi law
• Conduct all duties in accordance with the DRC Code of Conduct
• Provide timely Finance, HR, or Admin reports to the Base Manager and South Central Supply departments as needed
• Identify areas for impoved efficiency and compliance of logistics & procurement procedures and proactively share ideas with the Support Team Leader and Base Manager
• In coordination with the Support Team Leader, ensure that all new and existing staff are aware and trained on procurement and logistics procedures. Develop SOPs and trainings as needed.
• Attend meetings as Supply Chain representative as required and provide input related to your department
• Others duties assigned by the Support Team Leader and/or Base Manager
• This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
• 3 or more years of experience in Finance, HR, and/or Admin (finance background an advantage)
• Experience working with NGOs or humanitarian organizations is a plus
• Must be organized, able to multi-task, flexible and able to work as a team
• Honesty & integrity are a must
• Strong computer skills including advanced Excel skills
• Fluency in Arabic & English required
• University degree, preferably in Finance or Accounting. Extensive relevant work experience could be considered in lieu of a degree
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 5 Months
Start date: 1 August
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 24 July 2018
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo