Consultancy on Regulatory Proposal for Carbon Emission Offsets (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
Carbon offset schemes allow individuals and companies to invest in environmental projects around the world in order to balance out their own carbon footprints. The projects are usually based in developing countries and most commonly are designed to reduce future emissions. This might involve rolling out clean energy technologies or purchasing and ripping up carbon credits from an emissions trading scheme.
The project seeks to develop a bank of potentially constitutive domestic offsets projects for the country. The consultant is expected to develop a proposal of what normative modifications would need to be developed.
1) Development of a Regulatory Proposal around Offsets
- Identify international background linked to the recognition of domestic offsets.
- Propose the necessary regulatory modifications that incorporate the concept of domestic offset in the national legislation and the legal adjustments that are necessary to incorporate the recognition of "carbon neutrality" in the collection of taxes or in the design of economic instruments of the type, "Cap and trade" or "credit-based initiatives" associated to the emission markets.
The Director for the Sub-regional Office will directly supervise the consultant for the Southern Cone, with the Climate Change Coordinator in the UN Environment Regional Office for Latin America as second supervisor.
Lumpsum payment modality. There will be a single lumpsum payment issued at the end of the consultancy period, upon confirmation by the supervisor in written of his/her clearance of the below-described deliverables:
- Deliverable 1:
- Deadline: 6 months after the signature of the contract
- Fee: 100% of the total contract amount.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent is required in environment, sustainable development, environmental law, environmental engineering, environmental economics, or similar.
- A first-level university degree in environment, sustainable development, environmental law, environmental engineering, environmental economics, or similar is required plus additional years of experience (+7) may be accepted in lieu of a Master university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in environmental law and management, or related areas of work (7 years with a Bachelor).
- Experience in planning and coordinating multi-country projects is desirable.
- Experience in developing climate change products and tools is an asset.
- Experience in the Latin American and Caribbean region is essential.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Fluency in English is required
- Proven experience and competence in managerial skills, including management of complex multi-stakeholder projects.
- Excellent written research skills, including the ability to draft and edit reports, studies, and other documents;
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical assistance to governments in Latin America.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholder groups including national governments.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Lumpsum payment modality. All payments will be issued upon confirmation by the supervisor in written of his/her clearance of the below-described deliverable
Contract level: LICA - 10
Contract duration: Six (6) months
UNOPS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We encourage female candidates to apply.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is 6:00 pm Chile time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Santiago (Chile)
- Grade: LICA-10, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Climate Change
- Public Policy and Administration
- Energy sector
- Closing Date: 2018-08-02