Director of Results and Measurement
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined with Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact exists to help create a world where people can exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Integrated Program Advancement team contributes to this by:
- Learning, leveraging, and thought leadership for Pact’s core technical areas
- Ensuring quality programming through technical support and monitoring
- Contributing to innovative program design, monitoring and evaluation Position Purpose
The Results and Measurement (R&M) Director provides leadership on monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) for Pact’s integrated approach to development. The R&M Director leads Pact’s global MERL strategy; coordinates the R&M team at headquarters and the R&M Community of Practice across Pact’s offices; provides technical MERL input to projects at proposal and implementation stages; leads on technical measurement and research initiatives; and disseminates Pact’s results, expertise, and innovations to a variety of internal and external audiences.
Promote and Influence (Promoting our work globally to influence the private, public and social sectors) (60 %)
- Lead and mentor Results and Measurement (R&M) team on evaluation methods, data quality assurance, data analytics techniques, and other key MERL responsibilities.
- Update and implement Pact’s R&M strategy, bringing into alignment with Pact’s Transformation Priorities
- Oversee or lead on special studies and initiatives to continue Pact’s position at the forefront of MERL for international development.
- Lead on creating or adopting innovative MERL processes/tools contributing to Pact’s Transformation agenda (research, core data analytics)
- Ensure data quality across Pact’s programs and initiatives
- Promote learning from Pact’s results internally & externally
- Actively participate and/or lead work on Strategic Priorities at Pact and other working groups.
- Disseminate/lead trainings on MERL tools, modules, and key information across Pact offices
- Lead R&M Community of Practice meetings to sustain an innovative MERL culture at Pact
- Present at academic and professional conferences to publicize Pact’s MERL tools and results
- Lead Pact’s Global Indicators process and explore improvements such as outcome-level agency-level measures.
- Routinely update core R&M documents (e.g. evaluation policy, quality standards, 2-pagers, MERL modules), and contribute to MERL discussions and sharing via the R&M Community of Practice.
- Publish studies/data in journals and other public formats.
Collaborate with Powered by Pact team on data analytics strategy, products, and services for Pact’s core businessTechnical MERL support for high quality programming (30%)
Guide new project start up for R&M components (recruiting and onboarding of MERL staff, design of M&E plans, baseline activities, MERL skill building, database setup, standardization of tools, etc.)
Support ongoing projects in monitoring, mid-term and end-line studies, and routine and final reports
Provide short-term technical assistance in country on project monitoring, baseline, mid-term and end line evaluation, special studies, reporting, project closeout, or other as requested.Grow and Diversify Pact Portfolio: Contributing to innovative monitoring, evaluation, research and learning design (10%)
Contribute high quality M&E content to project proposals (design of MERL activities, indicators, etc.) and review content created by others (project design, budget, budget notes, results framework, etc.)
Recruit high quality and skilled M&E staff for key personnel positions and hire people who meet/exceed the requirements (draft/review JDs, screen applicants, interview, rank, recommend)
Serve on proposal review teams as requested (when not directly contributing to proposal preparation) and provide actionable feedback
Ph.D. plus 5-7 years of MERL experience in international development, or a Master’s degree with 10-12 years of experience
Experience at a senior level leading strategy, tasks, and teams in MERL or relevant discipline
At least three years implementing international development programming in low resource settings with a variety of multi-lateral and bilateral donors
Ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with Pact HQ staff and country offices, in donor organizations, and in peer organizations
Knowledge of MERL design and methods for international development programming that aligns with a variety of donors’ policies, procedures, or regulations
In-depth knowledge of qualitative and quantitative MERL methods and trends for Pact’s impact and approach areas
Demonstrated English-language writing and analytical skills, and proficiency in one foreign language
Successful history of technical team management and thought leadership
Ability to travel frequently, approximately 25% time
Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks under high pressure
Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative data collection, management, analytics and visualization of results (including SPSS or STATA and database skills)
Experience with MERL for integrated programming (across multiple sectors)
In-depth knowledge of research design, learning reviews, ex-post and impact evaluations
Basic knowledge of statistical methods
Proficiency in one or more foreign languages
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Organization: Pact World
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Managerial positions
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2018-09-30