UNDSS Security Communication Center Operator (SCC) SC4
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security Adviser (CSA) and with the general supervision of the Chief SIOC and the direct supervision of the Senior/Supervisor of the Security Communication Center (SCC), a SCCO assists in preparing reports, performing as a shift operator (day/evening/night), monitoring the movements of UN vehicles and communicating and receiving messages through VHF, HF, fax, e-mail and telephones on 24/7 basis with the UN offices/personnel within the duty station/Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Providing reports and security related reports and disseminate as per guidelines:
- Drafting reports and security related documents with standard English language;
- Maintaining and updating security incidents database;
- Monitoring the news on all sorts of media and producing the daily situation report;
- Disseminate timely security updates/advisories;
- Keeping supervisors informed of any emergencies or breaking news in Syria & the region;
- Providing supervisors with required Maps using Google/other maps;
- Providing supervisors with required PowerPoint presentations;
- Providing supervisors with Excel analysis as required;
- Providing supervisors with analytical reports for the duty station/country, including:
- Security incidents
- Radio check reports
- Reports of the radio signal quality
- Reports of agencies compliance with radio communication
- Reports of the radio network maintenance requirement
Working within a shift schedule with other staff:
- Performing as a shift operator (day/evening/night) under the immediate Supervisor of SCC, and with the overall directions of other supervisor(s) as determined by the CSA.
Liaising and communicating with staff of UN agencies on safety and security issues;
- Liaising with the agency staff regularly to know the vehicle movements outside the duty station city. Monitor the movements of UN vehicles and ensure efficient communications with traveling staff;
- Communicating and receiving messages through VHF, HF, fax, e-mail and telephones on daily basis with UN offices within duty station/Syria;
- Ensuring the ability to inter-communicate with all other networks of UN, International organizations and NGOs in Syria, in order to implement fast coordination via radio for operational and security purposes;
- Activating warden system and passing vital security information including headcounts as advised by the FSCO, Chief SIOC or CSA or DO/ASC;
- Ensuring that all network users are following the rules for radio traffic in order to adhere to the discipline of using networks, call signs, English language and that all systems are compliant to the regional frequency band plan;
- Performing radio check with VHF and sat phone according to CSA/Chief SIOC guidance.
Performing administrative duties as required:
- Keeping files, records, faxes, and all documents and issues related to work authorized and kept in confidential place;
- Keeping the supervisors up to date with all procedures, challenges and faults in the radio network and undertaking any necessary actions to maintain order in the system;
- Ensuring discipline in the SCC and assisting all visiting UN staff to SCC in their official business;
- Updating security contact lists on regular basis, as required;
- Performing any other related duties and tasks as required.
Committed to the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity.
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Ability to actively seek to improve services. Offers new and different options to solve problems/meets client needs. Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas.
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Required Skills and Experience
- 2 Years of Diploma in IT or administrative, other related field of work
- 2 years’ experience in security or IT context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Willing to work at night, weekends and holidays
- Physically fit
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Qamishly (Syria)
- Grade: SB-2, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Security and Safety
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2018-07-26