National Project Coordinator
The UNDP regional project, United Nations Action for Cooperation against Trafficking in Persons (UN-ACT), was established to facilitate a stronger and more coordinated response to human trafficking in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
The main approach for the project is to build the capacity of key stakeholders, and facilitate coordination and cooperation among all relevant actors in order to achieve the following long-term project outcome:
- Key anti-trafficking stakeholders in the region are working in a more cooperative and mutually supportive manner to effectively combat trafficking in persons.
To work towards this outcome, the project has identified the following five interlinked outputs:
Output 1: Countries and regional actors increase their cooperation to effectively counter human trafficking;
Output 2: The COMMIT Process is strengthened to become sustainable and self-reliant;
Output 3: Policy makers, academia, non-governmental actors, and the public have increased access to evidence-based research and knowledge on trafficking;
Output 4: Civil society and other non-governmental actors are able to contribute more effectively to anti-trafficking efforts;
Output 5: Effective project management and operations.
The National Project Coordinator for UN-ACT will report to the Regional Project Manager of UN-ACT who is located in Bangkok.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Project Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Project Manager. S/he will also collaboratively work with the UN-ACT team in performing his/her duties.
Specifically, the National Project Coordinator will undertake the following duties:
- Provide leadership and strategic thinking on national issues to ensure proper implementation of project activities;
- Overall management and planning of the implementation of the project’s national level outputs and activities;
- Manage and administer the day-by-day operations to ensure the effective implementation of the national level activities;
- Undertake all necessary financial arrangements, processes, request for authorizations, payments and ensure financial accountability for national level activities;
- Prepare and oversee implementation of the UN-ACT annual work plan for the country;
- Timely submission of country-level monthly and annual reports;
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards country level programme outputs and goals;
- Ensure close coordination between the planning of the project and government activities to achieve better synergy;
- Manage and provide technical guidance related to the country to UN-ACT staff.
- Collaborate with and provide support to the UNDP country office on UNDP country office priorities that link to migration, trafficking and other related issues;
- Provide talking points, briefing and background papers to UN management, if requested;
- Regularly update the UN-ACT’s regional management office, the Resident Coordinator’s Office and UNDP country office;
- Assist the National COMMIT (Coordinated Mekong Ministerial Initiative against Trafficking) taskforces in the implementation of their national annual workplans based on the COMMIT Sub-regional Plan of Action;
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to the implementation of national level activities, trainings and workshops as required;
- Support and inform data collection initiatives as required;
- Support partner agencies in design and implementation of anti-trafficking activities;
- Organise and implement training on different aspects of anti-trafficking work;
- Maintain a watching brief on events and knowledge development in the areas of human trafficking and migration issues.
Coordination and Networking
- Organize and facilitate regular country level anti-trafficking stakeholder meetings, and ensure appropriate follow-up;
- Identify and reach out to new actors, including relevant national organizations, private sector actors and civil society organizations, where necessary;
- Represent the project in external meetings;
- Coordinate with relevant anti-trafficking partners and mechanisms;
- Participate in and conduct workshops and seminars on trafficking and facilitate the strengthening of networks among key partner agencies;
- Establish and maintain collaborative bilateral relationships and linkages with the National Project Coordinators of other participating countries and strengthen inter-country networks within the framework of the sub-regional project.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
Required Skills and Experience
- Thai National with a Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in a relevant social science, law or management.
- At least 5 years for Master's or 7 years for Bachelor's holder, of professional working experience in development projects’ coordination/management with UN system organizations and/or NGOs as well as with government partners;
- At least 3 years for Master's or 5 years for Bachelor's holder, of professional experience in the field of human trafficking and/or migration for Thailand; understanding of current national anti-human trafficking mechanisms is an asset;
- Literacy in Window-based computer applications;
- Experience in budget management is an advantage;
- Knowledge of gender and human-rights issues an advantage.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Thai.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bangkok (Thailand)
- Grade: SB-5 (SC10/SC11), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Democratic Governance
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31