Knowledge Management & Communications Specialist (Open to Fiji Nationals ONLY)
Suva (Fiji )
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Pacific Multi-Country Office is based in Suva, Fiji and works alongside over 20 other UN agencies in the region and in 14 countries: Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Republic of Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
Under its Strategic Note 2018-2022, UN Women Fiji MCO focuses on delivering on four interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
- Women’s Political Empowerment and Leadership
- Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Ending Violence against Women
- Gender and Protection in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction
Markets for Change / M4C
The Markets for Change - Fiji, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu Project (hereinafter referred to as the M4C project) is a six-year initiative aimed at ensuring that marketplaces in rural and urban areas are safe, inclusive and non-discriminatory environments, promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The M4C project aims to promote the gender, social and economic empowerment of market vendors, with specific attention to the needs and aspirations of women market vendors. Through the creation of representative groups in marketplaces, a focus on economic security, the strengthening of local government institutions, procedures and development approach, and the design and building of gender-responsive infrastructure, market vendors will be able to influence decision-making on market management and resource allocation, supporting the economic and social empowerment of market vendors, and the advancement of women market vendors. The Markets for Change project is implemented by UN Women, with UNDP acting as the Responsible Party for the delivery of one of the 4 Outcomes of the Project.
Under the overall guidance of the Multi-Country Office Representative, and the direct supervision of the M4C Regional Project Manager, the Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist will ensure that the M4C project substantively contributes to UN Women’s work in gender equality, women’s leadership and women’s economic empowerment.
The Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist, M4C will lead and support the M4C country teams in the implementation and management of the M4C Knowledge Management and Communications Strategy. The post will be responsible for overall information management from data collection through monitoring, to the development of knowledge products and communications including information for donor reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Responsible for the implementation of the M4CKnowledge Management and Communications strategies and systems;
- Support to the development and management of the Markets for Change Knowledge Management and Communications strategies and systems;
- Lead on the development of M4C communications and knowledge products, publications and advocacy materials in accordance with UN Women guidelines;
- Support to UN Women communications and learning products including: web site, intranet, MCO web-based knowledge management system working jointly with and under the guidance of the UN Women MCO Communications Specialist;
- Responsible for M4C knowledge management and communications activities including: data storage and management, development of products including publications, launches and campaigns, outreach and media activity, with a focus on social media and public information;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing internally and externally including research and advocacy work; and
- Support to the M4C Monitoring and Communications Officers as required.
Ensures implementation of internal and external strategies for M4C knowledge management and communications focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Planning and elaboration of knowledge management and communications needs assessments for M4C, in particular, with M4C country project teams in Fiji, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, including close cooperation with, and support for, programme-specific monitoring and communications staff members;
- Ensure that all communications and information messages and activities are consistent with MCO and M4C Communications Strategy;
- Elaboration, implementation and management of the M4C Communications Strategy as part of the MCO Communications Strategy based on the corporate strategic objectives of UN Women and the Fiji MCO;
- Elaboration, implementation and management of the M4C Knowledge Management Strategy as part of the corporate strategic objectives of UN Women and the Fiji MCO;
- Support to UN Women Corporate communications as M4C including constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme formulation to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UN Women’s development programme working closely with and under the guidance of the MCO Communications Specialist.
Ensures development and dissemination of publications, including knowledge products and advocacy materials in accordance with UN Women guidelines focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provide coordinated assistance for all M4C publication and knowledge product activities at the Fiji MCO including close cooperation with, and support for, M4C monitoring and communications staff members;
- Provide support and advice for content management, norms for publishing, liaison with designers, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and, subsequently, supervision of publications’ dissemination and other short-term consultants and editors as required;
- Identification and development of knowledge products, storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on women’s economic empowerment, Markets for Change, gender equality and key development issues;
- Support to the development of M4C research, monitoring and survey work in support of knowledge management, communications and donor reporting.
Supervises the maintenance of the M4C information and knowledge management systems, including information for the UN Women website, intranet, MCO web-based knowledge management systems focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support and work closely with MCO Communications Specialist, specifically providing support with updates on M4C for Fiji MCO communications including office webpages on the UN Women Asia and the Pacific website based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the Regional Office (RO) of Asia-Pacific;
- Supervision and preparation of all M4C content for the Fiji MCO including the website ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Supervise and develop content for M4C towards the UN Women in the Pacific social media presence and other online channels, including identifying and posting material where required, in coordination with the Regional Manager and monitoring and communication officers in programme and project teams;
- Supervise and support data information storage, management and content towards all M4C donor reports; ensuring that monitoring information is accurate and in line with the M4C monitoring and evaluation framework.
Supports business development in close collaboration with, and support for, programme-specific monitoring and communications staff members, through focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and Campaigns
- Create and promote campaigns on M4C and WEE to local and regional media that position UN Women and influences the development agenda based on current programmes and new initiatives;
- Project manage the development, promotion and dissemination of M4C knowledge products, advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications;
- Create and promote campaigns on M4C activities, progress on SDGs (especially SDG 5), Beijing Platform for Action, etc. in association with other staff from within the Programme / Operations Unit across the region.
Outreach and Media Activity
- Promote activities to position UN Women’s M4C as a leader within the gender equality and development spaces particularly in women’s economic empowerment;
- Support the Fiji MCO Communications unit to increase coverage and understanding of the UN Women’s work in the Pacific region through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors;
- Support to format, package and submit documentation about programme initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme staff;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with communications and knowledge management counterparts in government, partner agencies, specifically UNDP for M4C, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.;
- Provide communications advice and support, where required, this will include supporting programme staff in their relationships with above-mentioned organizations;
- Forge the “one UN” image through active participation in the UN Communications Partnership Group, publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, and common services.
- Support the organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (16 days Activism, UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.), with a particular focus on M4C activities for IWD and IDRW, taking the lead where appropriate;
- Ensure access for journalists to subject matter experts;
- Coordinate and support M4C country teams in their communications to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support programme work;
- Measure M4C outreach effectiveness through regular monitoring of media coverage, adapting strategies where appropriate and sharing results with staff, donors and key partners. Provide this information regularly to project management including project donor reports.
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials;
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues;
- Advocacy and promotion of UN Women mandate, mission and purpose.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to M4C programme country goals and activities;
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information;
- Provide advice, support and inputs to Markets for Change and UN Women communications corporate documents;
- Submit contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Organize or provide knowledge management and communications training, consultancy and advice to Markets for Change / UN Women staff.
- Ensure all information regarding Markets for Change communications and knowledge management is included accurately and in a timely manner in all donor reports.
- Lead on ensuring that all data included in donor reports by the country teams is accurate, up to date and timely. This includes ensuring that all data in the donor reports corresponds with the information required under the project’s monitoring and evaluation framework.
* Support other operations related activities as may be needed and requested by the Supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s and M4C’s work;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content on the website and social media channels;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage;
- Regular interactions with donors, as shown in increased funds;
- Regular exchange of information between MCO / COs in region as shown in coherent and relevant regional public presence.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Strong knowledge of managing web-based knowledge management systems
- Strong understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Strong oral and written communication and editing skills
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to provide advice and be strategic and analytical
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues is desirable
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters’ Degree in communications (media relations, journalism, publishing) or field related to knowledge management or related field.
- Bachelors’ Degree in communications (media relations, journalism, publishing) or field related to knowledge management or related field.
- Masters’ Degree or Higher + years of experience requirement: A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in: communications for development, knowledge management, monitoring, advocacy and research and public relations.
- Bachelors’ Degree + years of experience requirement: A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in: communications for development, knowledge management, monitoring, advocacy and research and public relations.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organisation is helpful but not mandatory;
- Strong asset but not mandatory is experience in the usage of office software packages including InDesign and Photoshop, and a good knowledge and experience in the handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience in databases, management of data / information, monitoring preferred.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Fluency in a Pacific Island language would be an asset, but not mandatory e.g. Fiji, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu).
- Organization: UN WOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Suva (Fiji )
- Grade: SB-5, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Mid level
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Communication and Public Information
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2018-08-08