Business Analytics Specialist
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS), under the overall umbrella of the Information and Communication Technology Division (ICTD) of the Department of Field Support (DFS), requires the capacity to address the resource intensive and specialized tasks related to readiness for deployment of the Umoja Extension 2 projects, pilot roll out of demand planning and track and trace functionalities and the improvements to the Foundation and Umoja Extension 1 functionalities.
UNSOS through this agreement, aims to establish a small technical support team in Nairobi with the following objectives and end state:
* Support with continuing issues related GDP through users’ support, on the job training and engaging with the appropriate stakeholders; the establishment of business intelligence capacity in data sourcing, data quality audit and governance; the development and roll out mission BI tools, and providing SAP expertise for the mission’s involvement in the TAG and the pilot activities for UE2 Demand Planning and track and trace functionalities.
* 70 SAP users in Mogadishu, Nairobi and Mombasa receive support and on the job training through UNOPS team on how to effectively process transactions using GDP rolled out functionalities; business intelligence unit in UNSOS has produced and distributed a set of daily, weekly, and monthly supply chain end to end performance metrics tools and reports; 5 staff in the quality assurance unit have been trained in the requisite Umoja modules to facility quality management; 15 warehousing staff have been trained and provided daily support through UNOPS expertise in SAP and Warehousing on how to effectively plan, execute, monitor and control physical warehouse activities enabled by Umoja from initiation through completion ensuring data accuracy and timeliness; Mission’s UE2 pilot and deployment activities have been properly planned, scheduled and completed on time in adherence to DFS overall UE2 deployment schedule of activities.
* UNSOS, as pilot site, will strengthened the effectiveness and efficiency in using Umoja foundation and GDP deployed functionalities, successfully achieve UE2 piloting objectives and subsequently achieve a successful roll out of Phase 2 and Phase 3 of UE2 with appropriate change management and training programme.
- Perform Project Management activities;
- Create technical documentation and provide end user training and documentation, as required;
- Contribute to the tracking and reporting times and efforts invested on the assigned tasks;
- Provide assistance in developing, deploying, and managing mission support management's data collection and analytics-based reporting solutions to provide actionable intelligence to mission senior management team and to mission support unit and section chiefs.
- Provide support to the implementation of BI in UNSOS to include elements such as the delivery of standard and ad hoc reports, dashboards.
- Interact with, support, and consult with all UNSOS Pillars' Sections /Units to define key performance indicators, standard and ad-hoc reports that enable business decision.
- Assist in coordination of business and scope analysis, gathering of requirements and documentation, preliminary system analysis, data cleansing and enrichment, migration, and change management initiatives;
- Assist in day to day operations and additional front loading preparatory technical and business process re-engineering and integration within the scope of overall UE2 for UNSOS;
- Provide SAP assistance for the mission’s involvement in the Technical Advisory Group (TAG) and the pilot activities for UE2 Demand Planning and track and trace functionalities;
- Support in enforcing known policies, procedures, and compliance requirements that improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Business Intelligence unit•
- Build procedures to extract, transform and load non-Umoja data where required to enrich data retrieved from the existing Umoja Business Intelligence (BI) system.
- Participate in the coordination between clients and Umoja BI to identify existing reporting assets and resolve any issues therein.
- Assess Business Intelligence (BI) training needs; identify, design and coordinate the delivery of BI training programs to staff at all levels.
- Support the delivery of both certified and focused functional business intelligence training workshops to UNSOS.
- Undertake to provide functional and technical support for Umoja business intelligence related matters.
- Perform other ICT related duties as required;
The expected impact will be enhanced, efficient solutions as part of overall UE2 and pertinent BI deliverables for UNSOS.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Business Administration, IT or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional eight years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Minimum 2 years of experience required in any of the following areas: business intelligence, analytics, administration, management, budget/finance, training or ICT areas.
- Minimum 2 years of working experience with reporting and analysis;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in working with Umoja or other ERP solutions;
- PRINCE 2 foundation;
- Experience in quality assurance of systems;
- Experience in defining and documenting system requirements;
- Experience in multinational working environment;
- Knowledge of Power BI;
- Experience in asset management;
- Excellent communication skills and good IT understanding
- English and French are the working languages of the UN. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: IICA1
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster(SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
- Grade: IICA-1, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Operations and Administrations
- Public, Private Partnership
- Closing Date: 2018-08-28