Consultant /Programme Policy Officer - Protecton & Gender
Requisition # 99961
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Title : Programme and Policy Officer - PROTECTION & GENDER
Duty Station : BUNIA (1) and KALEMIE (1)
Type of Contract : International Consultant
Date of issuance : 29 September 2018
Closing date : 13 October 2018
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- Job holder at this level demonstrate leadership skills, capacity to coordinate. Candidate is expected to have the sense of responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with general guidance;
There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
The selected candidate will be responsible for assisting the sub office to mainstream protection and AAP as well as assist in providing technical guidance to Program Units to undertake conflict sensitive programming.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Work in close cooperation with the Program sub-sections and other units to integrate protection concerns into the project management cycle ;
- Undertake research to assist in contributing to WFPs DRC context analysis ;
- Provide regular information on protection concerns and trends in DRC in WFP’s internal meetings;
- Contribute in developing tools and guidelines for specific Program Units to mainstream protection based on WFPs policy ;
- Coordinate with the Programme sub-units in order to mainstream protection into all WFP Programs
- Support WFP field offices hroughout the whole project management cycle both on technical aspects as well as in strategic orientations;
- Assist in organizing and conducting protection mainstreaming / conflict sensitive program - trainings for WFP and Cooperating Partner staff ;
- Undertake field travels to WFP Field locations to conduct protection monitoring and integrate protection concerns into interventions through trainings, workshops and briefings at field level
- Provide technical support to Protection focal points in developing individual work plans;
- Develop, where possible, common approaches and standard procedures as well as minimum requirements ;
- Assist in strengthening inter-agency understanding of WFPs protection policy and its operational impact
- Liaise with government authorities, Protection Cluster representatives, UN agencies and INGO staff on protection issues;
- Assist in providing technical guidance on how to include protection into programming to safely deliver food beneficiaries, cash and vouchers to beneficiaries before, at and after the distribution
- Undertake and contribute to research if necessary
Assist in drafting advocacy notes and reports on protection in WFP
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Qualifications :
- Good understanding of project lifecycle, humanitarian principles and tools, programmes and transfer modalities;
- Knowledge of relevant field of specialization (food security, nutrition, humanitarian, development, social protection) is an asset;
- Good conceptual and analytical capacity;
- Leadership, management and negotiation skills;
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision;
- Ability to explain projects to field counterparts and communicate with Government and partners clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts and staff within the office, host population, donors, NGOs and other UN agencies;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety; flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience relevant to the position in addressing protection issues in humanitarian responses;
- Experiences working in the field, in both development and emergency response, understanding the operational aspects of local, state and national level of food-security programs in complex conflict environments;
- Experience in delivering trainings and debriefings;
- Knowledge of protection mainstreaming ;
- Experience in implementing protection programs in emergency contexts;
- In-depth knowledge of protection and protection mainstreaming tools
- In-depth knowledge about international standards and policies, especially those centered around food-insecurity
- Knowledge of WFPs mandate
- Knowledge of WFPs protection and AAP policy desirable
- Understanding of procedures and policies of the U.N. system is a plus
- Previous work experience with a U.N. agency is a plus
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law and Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women is a plus
- Initiative and maturity of judgment
- Experience in drafting reports and advocacy notes
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Fluency (level C) in French language and at least intermediate knowledge (level B) English language .
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
13 October 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.