The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, focused on increasing food security and reducing poverty at an international scale. Please refer to our website for more information www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a creative data scientist, ideally with sector experience in agricultural systems, to join the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) in India. With support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the US Agency for International Development (USAID), CSISA is CIMMYT’s flagship program for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India. The Data Scientist will have a diverse set of responsibilities including: data systems design and applying metadata standards, devising process flows, integrating data types, and developing deep insights into multivariate datasets using a range of data mining approaches.
This position will be based in Delhi, Patna, or Vijaywada in India. Some travel in the region will be required.
- Identifying valuable data sources (structured and unstructured data) and automating data collection processes, pre-processing, and curation in well-structured databases.
- Analyzing large datasets to discover trends and patterns.
- Building predictive models for soil health and agronomic management interventions.
- Presenting analyses with creative visualization approaches.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc in Computer science, Agriculture, Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience using modern analytical methods for data mining, including machine learning.
- Proficiency in computer programming and statistical computing (e.g. Python, R, MATLAB).
- Experience with data visualization tools and spatial analytics.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a large team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of agricultural systems (desirable).
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Sunday, 23rd December 2018 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN18117 in the subject of your email)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.