Area Manager, Zaatari and Azraq Camps - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Country Office Background
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) established its presence in Jordan in November 2012 in response to the conflict in Syria and the resulting refugee influx. NRC Jordan currently employs over 500 staff in Jordan and is one of the largest INGOs in the country. Since 2012, NRC has worked to build the resilience of Syrian refugees in Jordan, and invest in the Jordanian communities that host them. NRC supports Syrian refugees in Zaatari and Azraq refugee camps, as well as vulnerable refugees and Jordanians in north and central Jordan (Irbid, Jerash, Ajloun, Mafraq and Amman governorates). In Jordan, NRC provides services in five of NRC’s global core competencies: Shelter, Education, Youth, Livelihoods and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). NRC strives to combine its programmatic activities with evidenced-based advocacy work focused on policy change and strong external communications and media engagement. The Country Office also works to ensure safe and integrated programming through ensuring protection is effectively mainstreamed across all core competencies.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a motivated humanitarian professional to join our Jordan Country Office’s operations.
They are a university graduate with a minimum of 3 years previous experience working as a senior Project/Program Manager in a humanitarian context. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East are desirable.
We are particularly looking for an individual with an individual with diverse experience the includes implementation and and understanding of programming.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- Overall responsible for all programme and decentralized program and support staff (150 +) in Zaatari and Azraq camp
- Provide leadership to the field offices ensuring strong team spirit; effective communication and strong support to program and support teams
- Ensure strong coordination between core competencies; promote joint programming and inter – core competency coordination in and across camps.
- Ensure activities in both camps are carried out in a cost efficient manner maximizing program impact (value for money)
- Ensure the effective involvement of beneficiaries in programming including through the roll out of the IBV scheme
- Carry out regular discussion with the sector specialist and program managers to ensure a strong common vision.
- Ensure strong coordination and cooperation between support departments in the area office and centralized technical managers ensuring a common vision and positive collaboration.
- Ensure field presence in the site 3 days a week at a minimum.
- Represent NRC at camp level and act as focal point for camp management and UN agency representatives at camp level.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan with frequent travel to the camps
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Jordan (Jordan)
- Grade: Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Refugee rights and well-being
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2019-01-12