Manager, Procurement Services
Brazzaville (Congo Republic)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The General Management Cluster of the WHO Regional Office for Africa provides support to and oversight of the various operational programmes and activities in the region, including procurement of goods and services, Administrative services, Human Resources Management, Budget and Finance and Information Technology.
The objective of the Procurement & Supply Services (PSS) Unit is the timely and cost-effective provision of essential medical and non-medical supplies, equipment and services to support the implementation of WHO AFROâs commitment to member states and their health collaborative programmes as well as emergency operations.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The purpose of the post of Manager, Procurement Services is to plan, direct and coordinate all activities and operations of the Procurement & Supply Services for the entire work programme of WHO AFRO, including ordering, purchasing, supply administration, and customs clearance.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Manager, Procurement Services assumes the following duties\:
1. Manages and advises on conformity with standard procurement processes with respect to the procurement of supplies and equipment for regional and emergency programme activities and under reimbursable arrangements. This includes\:
a) Reviewing and interpreting requisitions for equipment and supplies and, in each case, deciding on appropriate course of procurement action;
b) Seeking technical approval and requesting allocation of funds;
c) Obtaining and analysing local quotations whenever necessary;
d) Approving local and direct purchases within delegation of authority,
e) When purchasing is beyond delegation of authority, making recommendations to the Director of General Management cluster (GMC);
f) Authorizing Headquarters and other WHO offices to purchase on behalf of AFRO;
g) Ensuring equipment and supplies are delivered from suppliers;
h) Managing the cross verification of Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) data with M&E and health/programmatic, management and financial data/information;
i) Conducting comprehensive PSM analysis and giving input in the PSM-related section of the obligatory reporting template;
j) Serving as standing Secretary of AFRO Contract Review Committee
2. Leads, supervises and manages the work of Unit staff including integration, talent management and achievement of results, through coaching, promotion of learning and training, staff engagement and motivation.
3. Monitors the achievement of results including the established KPIs for the PSS unit, as well as the procurement network of the Africa region. Proposing and implementing measures for improved efficiency and effectiveness.
4. Manages the performance of the procurement work plan, assessing its efficiency and effectiveness\: Identifies its weaknesses and successes and makes recommendations for necessary follow up by the funds recipient. Suggests remedial measures for the potential weaknesses in the management of implementing partners, to ensure the optimum utilization of donor grant money and safeguarding the funds against any fraud.
5. Makes recommendations in relation to the procurement of goods and services, as follows\: a) Provides advice to AFRO Technical Units, WRs and national project managers on appropriate items to be procured in support of regional programmes; and b) Assists member states with organizing their direct procurement, handling and distribution of medical supplies and equipment.
6. Establishes and maintains relationships with suppliers\: a) Acquires information about suppliers and products and maintains a data base of the information, including details of preferred suppliers; b) Interviews suppliers; and c) Visits factories, offices and trade fairs.
7. Provides services in respect of\: a) Dispatch, delivery, customs clearance and documentation of consignments of equipment and supplies; b) Handles claims against insurance for goods damaged or lost in transit; and c) Submits to Property Survey Committee proposals for the disposal/write off of equipment.
8. Performs the function of GSM approver 4 by performing quality assurance reviews of purchase requisitions (PRs) of goods and services of values in excess of budget centersâ delegation of authority (DoA) and reassign verified PRs to GMC, DPM or RD as per applicable DoA.
9. Serves as standing secretary of AFRO Property Survey Committee (PSC) and provides recommendation of assets disposal based on budget centersâ requests.
10. Coordinates with other UN Agencies, across the regions, to share their respective catalogues for goods and services which are not available in the WHO catalogue.
11. Actively participates in the global procurement network and communicates strategic directions and new or amended policies to all budget centers of the regions.
Essential\: Masterâs degree in Business Administration, Commerce or any related fields.
Desirable\: Masterâs degree in Business Administration, Commerce or any related fields.
Essential\: Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in Procurement Management or a related field such as Finance and Administration.
Desirable\: Experience in UN or International global organizations would be an asset.
In depth knowledge of administrative principles governing procurement of supplies and equipment; good knowledge of customs procedures for importation of goods; Demonstrated managerial skills; ability to be tactful and use discretionary powers and confidentiality at all levels including WHO UN system and National officials; Knowledge and commitment to WHO goals and objectives in the Region
1. Fostering integration and Teamwork
2. Respecting and Promoting individual and cultural differences
4. Ensuring the effective use of resources
5. Producing results
6. Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
Essential\: Excellent knowledge of English or French and a good working knowledge of the other.
Desirable\: Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
WHO offers staff in the Professional Category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at 85,543 US Dollars (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Â· This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
Â· Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Â· A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Â· In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
Â· Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
Â· For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
Â· WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Â· WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Â· WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link\: http\://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
Â· Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Brazzaville (Congo Republic)
- Grade: P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2019-01-26