Quality Assurance Associate G6 Damascus VA-004-2019
Requisition # 103188
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Re-advertisement of VA066-2018
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
From 20 January 2019 to 3 February 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP in Syria maintains a comprehensive approach to food safety and quality management based on risk assessment and management, aimed at maximizing the efficiency of food quality assurance activities along the full length of the supply chain.
The job holder shall report directly to the Food Technologist and shall be the focal person responsible for monitoring and implementation of quality assurance for the field, particularly for WFP operations and facilities in Homs, Tartous and Lattakia
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support implementation of an integrated Food Safety and Quality Management System for Syria Operations;
- Liaise with key institutions and organizations working in the area of food safety and quality
- Maintain an updated database of Syrian food specifications and food laws and regulations
- Assist in food supplier assessments or audits
- Monitor the performance of appointed inspection companies, laboratories and other stakeholders involved in testing the quality and conformity of commodities procured by WFP.
- Support the implementation of the food incident management system
- Assist in the preparation of reports related to food quality and safety issues
- Conduct regular inspection visits to WFP warehouses countrywide and provide technical support and guidance to warehouse staff on best practices in relation to handling, storage, pest control, fumigation, reconditioning, packaging, and disposal
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
- Perform any other duties incidental to the above, as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University Degree/Diploma in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Science or Food Processing, Nutrition or other related field, with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: At least five years of experience including three years of post-graduate experience in food quality assurance and management or food quality and safety audit.
Language: Fluency in Arabic language and (level C) in English language.
CORE SKILLS REQUIRED
- Up to date knowledge and skills in the field of food processing; quality management in the food processing industry; or food quality and safety auditing.
- Good analytical skills;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet application and research;
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills;
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
• Please upload your CV in English.
• Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.
• Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once applying.
HOW TO APPLY
(If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar)
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.