Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor
Lausanne (Switzerland) | Switzerland
Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor
Switzerland Global Support Office
Offer strategic and technical advice to headquarters and the field, as well as training and coaching to Medair field health and nutrition staff in emergency (acute and chronic) as well as transitional programming. To assist in strengthening, supporting and standardizing the technical quality of Medair’s health and nutrition sector programming at field and HQ levels to ensure meeting international health guidelines and best serving our beneficiaries.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Global Support Office (GSO) in Lausanne, Switzerland or remotely based location—to be agreed. Travel to supported field or GSO programmes up to once a quarter for 2-3 weeks at a time. Out of hours/ weekend work may be required from time to time.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
- Travel to supported field or GSO programmes up to once a quarter for 2-3 weeks at a time. Out of hours/ weekend work may be required sometimes.
Key Activity Areas
Strategy & system development
- Review, implement, and monitor the health and nutrition support strategy.
- Assist country programmes in the development of their health and nutrition strategies.
- Develop and monitor metrics for activities under your responsibility from an organisational, portfolio, country, and project perspective. Assist in the development of health related organisational policies.
- Assist country programmes in development and review of any new country health policies or guidelines.
- Provide timely and evidence-based advice to field teams in the case of disease outbreaks and other medical problems.
- Provide technical health advice to Head of Country Programmes and field advisors at all key stages of the project management cycle including needs assessment, technical strategy and design, implementation as well as sector specific monitoring and evaluation. This includes travel to field programmes as well as review of proposals, key reports and surveys prior to external submission.
- Improve coherence between health and nutrition projects across Medair country programmes.
- Establish and maintain a regular communication and exchange of information between HQ and Field Health and Nutrition Advisors.
- Stay abreast of current best practice. Research and stay informed on academic and technical health and nutrition issues, techniques, and guidelines to inform and improve programming.
- Assist in developing and holding the yearly health and nutrition workshop.
- Assist in developing internal training materials and resources and providing training to staff.
- Advise as requested on external health and nutrition related training courses for staff.
Human Resources / Staff & Consultants Management
- To give advice as requested on suitability of health staff for various health roles and tasks.
- Manage technical aspects of consultant activities or relationships as necessary.
- Develop and maintain public health and relief oriented networks in order to share ideas, best practices, lessons learned, and stay informed on current health, nutrition, and humanitarian aid trends including CORE group, global sector clusters and academic institutions.
Communications and Fundraising
- To review and approve marketing material for your sector as requested.
- Build our institutional profile by writing, reviewing, and supporting the development of technical articles for publication, speaking at professional conferences and events.
- To support communications and fundraising in attracting interested major donors as time permits.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Medical Doctor plus Masters in Public Health (preferred); or Nurse with Masters in Public Health and extensive relief programming experience; or Public Health Professional (Masters or Doctorate level) with extensive relief programming experience.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least 3 years’ experience managing PHC programs in developing countries, with at least 2 years’ experience managing and coordinating acute and chronic complex emergency responses; such as: outbreaks, displaced populations, nutritional emergencies and/or natural disasters.
- Prior experience working with Medair in the field preferred.
- Tactful, high level communication, team building and interpersonal skills.
- Capable to develop and motivate people in a servant and supportive manner.
- Good self-perception and self-control. Very flexible and resistant to stress.
- Demonstrated training skills. Proven successful proposal writing and editing skills.
- Strong ability to think strategically along with analytical skills.