Operations Digital Transformation Manager
Reports to (role)
Deputy Director of Operations (for Protection & Assistance programs)
Purpose of the post
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Operations Digital Transformation Manager leads the development and the implementation of the Operations digital transformation, in close collaboration with the Protection and Assistance métiers and in line with ICRC's Information Environment Strategy (IES v2). S/he provides strategic guidance to the teams and ensures the digital transformation is led in a transversal manner across disciplines.
Main duties and reponsibilities
- Leads in the development and implementation of program (métier) processes linked with the digital transformation.
- Oversees the management of the Operations digital transformation project portfolio and initiatives in accordance with the ICRC's Project Management Framework and other applicable procedures and in a transversal manner across disciplines (métiers). Refines and adapts the Digitalisation of Operations Roadmap.
- Manages the development and implementation of tools, systems and operational processes necessary for the digital transformation of ICRC operations in line with the ICRC's Information Environment Strategy (IES).
- Identifies risks and related mitigation measures associated with the transformation program as a whole and ensure that component projects and other initiatives effectively manage risk.
- Ensures that professional change management practices are in place and implemented.
- Manages the Operations budget and resources dedicated to the transformation program and its component projects and initiatives.
- Ensures alignment across and coordination between Steering Committees.
- Monitors, controls and reports on progress to the senior sponsors of the ICRC's digital transformation.
- Prepares and submits information to the Project Management Office (PMO) and Project Board as per requirement.
- Chairs the Operations Digital Transformation Board and represents Operations on the Information / Data Board.
Scope & Impact
- Remit: global.
- Provides strategic guidance and oversees the implementation of 15+ projects per year over the next 4 years.
- Manages directly a team of 3 - 5 staff, which might increase over time.
- Manages a budget of approx. 5 MCHF per year over 4 years.
- Internally, interacts closely with all project managers in Protection and Assistance, and with the Project Management Office and Project Board. Also interacts with the Head of ICT, the Chief Information Officer and the Chief Data Officer.
- Externally, interacts with consultants and counterparts in other organizations.
Education and experience required
- 15 years' experience in senior managerial positions within the ICRC, including in the field.
- Minimum 10 years' experience in successfully managing large projects or programs, including change and risk.
- Certification in project management required.
- Change management training (Prosci) an asset.
- Experience in leading large transformation projects / programs.
- Confirmed ability to lead, manage, develop and motivate large multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent written and spoken English, fluent command of French, any other language an asset.
Desired profile and skills
- Sound knowledge of the ICRC's operational programs (both Protection and Assistance).
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
- Able to work under pressure
- Location : Geneva
- Type of contract : Open-ended contract
- Type of position: Long-term agreement
- Activity rate : 100%
- Length of assignment : 4 years (renewable)
- Estimated start date : ASAP
- Application deadline : Sunday, March 3rd 2019