State SNCU Manager
Bhopal (India) | madhya pradesh
State SNCU Manager
International Development Agency, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
1. POSITION(S) VACANT: State SNCU Manager (SSNCUM), International Development Agency, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
Our client is a respected, International Development Agency (IDA), that works across the globe to promote children's survival, protection and development.
Government of MP with technical support of IDA has invested heavily in strengthening facility based new born care in the state since 2008 in partnership with IDA MP. This has resulted in establishment of 54 Special new born care units across the state (48 at District Hospitals and rest in the Medical Colleges). This rapid scale up has resulted in more than 90,000 new born getting treated at these units in the year 2017, with over 80,000 new-borns being saved annually.
IDA has been the technical partner of the state in setting up of SNCU since the establishment of first unit in Guna and Shivpuri in December 2007-08. Though the scale up and operational cost of each of these SNCUs is managed by Government of MP under National Health Mission (NHM), there is a need to support the State Government for monitoring the performance of these units and provide support for removing operational bottlenecks, working closely with districts on one hand and State Government on other hand, to optimize the expected output of these units. In addition, after successes made in ensuring coverage of sick new-borns, the focus also needs to shift to increasing quality parameters of SNCU functioning. IDA in partnership with NHM MP has initiated Quality Improvement Initiative, at 10 SNCUs in Madhya Pradesh from nine districts including a mix of aspirational and other districts. These are; Jabalpur, Katni, Narsinghpur, Balaghat, Mandla and Dindori, Damoh Chhatarpur and Guna. Additionally, government of MP is focusing on 8 aspirational districts, including Damoh, Chhatarpur, Guna, Rajgarh, Barwani, Vidisha, Singrauli and Khandwa, for all integrated interventions. Further, the government will continue to focus on Jabalpur, Katni, Narsinghpur, Seoni, Chhindwara, Dindori, Balaghat and Mandla, RMNCH+A districts. In 2019, IDA MP will continue to focus on Bhopal, Barwani, Shivpuri, Sheopur, Alirajpur and Jhabua (with focus on LaQSHYA, WASH in Health and QI at Bhopal, Shivpuri, Sheopur).
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
The State SNCU Manager will work with State NHM under the supervision of the Deputy Director Child Health to provide necessary monitoring and management support to ensure smooth functioning and monitoring of Human Resources, Logistics, Equipment Maintenance, Bed occupancy, Bed Nurse Ratio, Capacity building of SNCU staff, management of Inborn, Out born, step down units, Breast feeding and KMC Care (Kangaroo Mother Care) as per standard operating care guidelines and instituting Quality Improvement interventions.
The consultant will closely coordinate with SNCU MIS Coordinator, State KMC & PICU Coordinator and State SNCU Clinical Care and follow up coordinator and child health coordinator for establishing key linkages.
The State SNCU Manager shall provide necessary monitoring and management support to the program as per standard operating care guidelines and instituting POCQI interventions (Point of Care Quality Improvement). S/he shall support the institutionalization of progress already made during 2018.
The incumbent shall bring about a focus shift on quality indicators of SNCU functioning, including focus on SNCU follow up at facility and community, KMC, EIBF, and setting up the New-born & KMC Resource Centre, with focus on strengthening Mother New-born High Dependency Unit (MNHDU).
(1) Provide necessary managerial support to Deputy Director Child Health in monitoring the functioning of existing SNCUs including issues related to HR deployment, equipment functionality, supplies of Medicines and consumables, Logistics and data management practices in the unit. This would include Medical College SNCUs monitoring;
(2) Identify bottlenecks in effective functioning of the units both through regular field visits as well as periodic analysis of online software data and take corrective steps to address these bottlenecks so as to improve performance of individual units through POCQI interventions customized for each SNCU;
(3) Provide support for monitoring all SNCUs in the state, need for expansion and monitoring of Medical College SNCUs in the state by coordinating with district and medical college SNCU teams;
(4) Support NHM and IDA to conduct safety audit and monitor SNCU equipment down time. Provide support to develop and implement the SNCU equipment MIS, SNCU Equipment repair trainings at NCCRC Pune, SNCU Safety audits and post training mentoring;
(5) Provide feedback and coordinate with DD/ Director Procurement on issues regarding functionality of SNCU equipmentâs in the state and ensure mechanisms / arrangements for equipment maintenance and downtime are put in place in all units;
(6) Coordinate with regional collaborative center at PGI Chandigarh, NCCRC Pune and IDA for developing training calendar and ensuring timely nominations for the same for SNCUs;
(7) Coordinate FBNC training for the staff of SNCUs in coordination with State, IDA and NNF including timely nominations for the same;
(8) Conduct regular data review of staff, bed occupancy ratio, Bed Nurse Ratio and follow up on key recruitments of SNCUs through continuous advocacy with the districts and the state level;
(9) Monitor the utilization of the SNCU Maintenance grants and performance linked incentives;
(10) Focus on mentoring of SNCU staff on newer Facility based Newborn Care Guidelines and WASH Management in SNCUs;
(11) Provide more frequent quality monitoring on a quarterly basis focused monitoring to IDA High priority and focus districts;
(12) Facilitate Facility death reviews in all SNCU reported deaths at the state, in IDA focus districts and RMNCH+A districts. Analysis of cause of death and burden of deaths district wise to hold specific regional district reviews;
(13) Include still birth and perinatal death audits with OBGY and NNF partnerships;
(14) Support Accreditation of SNCUs in the state coordination with NNF;
(15) Provide Support and onsite mentoring to SNCU Staff on management of new borns as per guidelines;
(16) Strengthen support to SNCUs to coordinate with Labour Room staff on implementation of Vit K, ANC Steroids, KMC guidelines, Antibiotic use, Birth dose RI;
(17) Strengthen SNCU and KMC resource centre with focus on Mother New-born High Dependency Units (MNHDU) at Bhopal, Indore, Dewa, Ujjain;
(18) Strengthen SNCU follow up OPD at Bhopal and Dewas as a model resource centre;
(19) Facilitate Hypothermia device pilot in IDA focus districts of Shivpuri, Sheopur and Guna;
(20) Facilitate ROP Screenings at the state with IDA Support, NHM and with national and state experts;
(21) Support the State to develop ROP Screening guidelines and capacity in the districts in collaboration with key national experts and state medical colleges;
(22) Child death review and verbal autopsy of SNCU deaths monitored through SNCU MIS- causality assessments, facility death review trainings and reports;
(23) Coordinate and Liaise with SNCU Clinical care and follow up coordinator to strengthen quality of care interventions and SNCU follow up in the state. To coordinate with State KMC coordinator to focus on strengthening KMC care in IDA focus districts in 2018;
(24) Support NHM & IDA coordination on New-born Health.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
Qualification and Experience:
(1) MD Community Medicine/ MD Pediatrics/ DCH Pediatrics with 10-12 years of experience in SNCU/Newborn care/ MCH program management at district/state level;
(2) MBBS with PG Degree in Health or Hospital Administration/ Public Health Post Graduate degree or Diploma in Public health or health administration with 10-12 experience of establishing and monitoring of SNCUs is essential;
(3) Medical Graduates with minimum 10-12 years of experience of establishing and monitoring SNCUs or Managing MCH programmes at district or state level can also apply; OR
(4) Non MBBS graduates from Alternate Systems of Medicine with PG Degree/ Diploma in Hospital Administration/ Health Administration/ Public Health with 10-12 years of experience of New-born/ MCH Programme management at district/state level may also apply.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Good understanding of National Health Mission programme planning process, Facility Based New Born care guidelines and experience of working with NRHM at District/State level is desirable;
(2) Knowledge and experience of Data Management and MIS Systems, Data Analysis, SPSS/Epi- Info and other systems would be an asset;
(3) Good track record of credibility, trust and honesty;
(4) Must be willing to travel extensively in the state;
(5) Proficiency in English & Hindi and MS Office related computers is essential.
5. ESTIMATED TRAVEL: Approximately 18 days in a month for achievement of the listed deliverables. (Additionally, consultant will be required, to travel to the 6 days per year for national review meetings and workshops)
6. NATURE OF ENGAGEMENT:
The SSNCUM shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
7. REMEUNERATION, DSA:
Remuneration payable to the selected candidate in the form of professional fees shall be attractive and in alignment with market norms.
Applicants are required to provide details of salary history, as well as expected remuneration for the position, in the online application form, comprising:
(a) Monthly Professional Fees and
(b) Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) for field travel outside the duty station.
(1) The above elements shall be a key input into the selection and negotiation process
(2) Candidates are expected to have their own laptops and be internet connected and these items shall not be provided.
8. LOCATION: Child Health Division NHM Office, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
9. DURATION: The successful candidate shall be issued a consultancy contract from the date of joining till December 31, 2019.
10. REFERENCE: SSNCUM-HLT-MP
11. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 2684 2162; 4165 3612
12. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link http://apply.samshrm.com by or before March 3, 2019.