Senior Associate Scientist I - Agronomy
Senior Associate Scientist I - Agronomy
Salary:69400 - 144200 INR per Month
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and U.S. Agency for International Development, the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (CSISA) has worked as an eco-regional initiative to support agricultural development in South Asia since 2009. CSISA’s aim is to use sustainable intensification technologies and management practices to enhance the productivity of cereal-based cropping systems, increase farm incomes, and reduce agriculture’s environmental footprint. As a science-driven and impacts-oriented initiative, we reside at the intersection of a diverse set of partners in the public and private sectors, occupying the ‘messy middle’ where research meets development. By engaging with a network of partners, CSISA is built on the premise that transformative development typically requires not one single change, but the orchestration of several.
Under the minimal direction of the Senior Associate Scientist II – Program Coordination (CSISA), Sr. Scientist I – Rainfed Lowland Agronomist, IRRI CSISA coordinator] the successful candidate will coordinate the activities on participatory science and technology evaluations, production practice surveys across CSISA sites in India, Nepal and Bangladesh in collaboration with NARES partners. Extend knowledge and provide technical back-stopping in the “Trainings and other Extension Activities” on sustainable intensification technologies. Responsible for preparing technical literature and training modules, develop and organize ToTs and hands'-on-training, workshops, meetings and other platforms for knowledge sharing on key agricultural technologies/ interventions of CSISA. Contribute to and lead the research activities by conceptualizing, planning, and conducting research studies at NARES sites including preparation, improvement and/or development of necessary protocols, research tools, data collection, analysis and interpretation/manuscript preparation, and provide strategic direction to the NARES partners.
This position will be based at the IRRI India Office and may only be filled by permanent citizens of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Independently develop, manage, and oversee implementation of strategies in accordance with agreed objectives, outputs, and time lines as reflected in approved impact pathway documents;
- To manage activities to conduct participatory science and technology evaluations and research across various CSISA sites in India, Nepal and Bangladesh;
- Plan and manage the implementation of research/research support service activities of the projects including data collection for development and validation of management technologies that help to augment expression of tolerance in farmers’ fields;
- Manage and guide the implementation of research support activities to ensure timely data collection, management, analysis and dissemination of result and information;
- Finalize draft reports for submission to supervisor and stakeholders and technical literature to disseminate results;
- Publish and actively contribute to articles in peer-reviewed journals/digests that highlight findings from research and experiment activities showcasing the Institute’s scientific leadership;
- Review, monitor and manage expenditures/disbursements of the activities assigned to and manage and monitor expenditures of partners and liaise with IRRI financial office to ensure adequate financial reporting;
- Develop and maintain partnerships with various stakeholders including NARES partners, CSISA project staff in India (CIMMYT, IFPRI and IRRI), and CSISA management to implement activities to meet the agreed CSISA project outputs and time lines;
- Steer and provide strategic direction to NARES partners and to coordinate the activities for increasing the capacity of these partners in line with CSISA’s objectives;
- Participate in Institute wide activities and represent IRRI at various meetings or events;
- Promote the dissemination of CSISA findings through workshops and popular communication channels;
- Consolidate/synthesize and finalize reports for submission to donors / partners and other stakeholders;
- Lead the preparation and presentation of research findings related to the project in various formats and forums;
- Prepare technical literature and publish in scientific journals and/or web-based publications, the research findings and results;
- Lead/contribute in writing of journal articles on sustainable intensification in rice, direct seeded rice, mechanical transplanted rice, various crop establishment methods and best bet agronomy in rice-based systems;
- Support for conceptualize and building a dynamic agro-advisory system in Odisha and Bihar in collaboration with partners;
- Manage and develop team members to ensure professional growth;
- Support for active showcasing of work by Institute's scientific leadership through different platforms of communication
PhD. in Agronomy or Soil Science with minimum 5 years of overall relevant experience in agriculture research, precision agronomy, project or program coordination, rice science or related field
- Has extensive proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments/surveys
- Has extensive Research management experience
- Has strong collaboration skills and has experience in creating long-term partnerships
- Has excellent leadership skills
- Has excellent analytical skills
- Has excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Has strong international publications in high impact journals
- Has experience in working with a larger team
- Experience of research and extension both at national and international level
- Strong experience in testing and validating technologies
- Has worked in an international organization
- Has experience writing project proposals
- Exposure of working in India, Bangladesh and Nepal; experience of working with NARES partners in South Asia
- House-Rent Allowance: IRRI provides a house rent allowance of 40% of base pay per month.
- Transport Allowance: A monthly transport allowance is provided to NRS as below: NRS L7: INR 5,000
- Dearness Allowance: One Hundred and Thirteen percent (113%) of employee’s base pay.
- Leave Travel Allowance (LTA): One-month base pay per annum, on availing minimum 2 days of vacation leave
- Education Allowance: INR 1000/- per child per month (limited 2 children)
In addition to these allowances, we offer a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.