Project Manager – Cash Assistance
Kirkuk (Iraq) | Iraq | with frequent travels to field locations outside the city
Project Manager – Cash Assistance
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Project Manager (PM) plans, develops, monitors and evaluates the assigned project(s). This involves assessing beneficiary needs for cash and livelihood, designing future projects and proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. The PM will provide leadership, strategic direction and technical support to his team and liaising with other stakeholders and (potential donors). The PM will be responsible for the correct selection and registration of beneficiaries and the cash assistance to them. The PM will be required to coordinate with the Project Officer and team leaders to ensure a correct, timely and effective execution.
This project aims to support the most vulnerable households in Kirkuk governorate with cash assistance. The project is being implemented in a complex context and has a focus on hard to reach areas where we will identify the most vulnerable households. Great focus is required on gaining access to underserved IDP households, to capacity building for local staff, managing partnerships and coordination with the government, UN and NGO system to assess and respond to needs in a complex and evolving context.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kirkuk, Iraq, with frequent travels to field locations outside the city.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Prepare and manage the project(s) in order to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the project staff, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff.
- Initiate where necessary or participate in new standards for data collection and data sharing strategy, in consultation with other actors in both cash as data collection.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other formats.
- Ensure that all security preparations are performed and followed.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Close control over the data collected from beneficiaries, Medair’s selection of households and the tracking of cash payments to beneficiaries.
- Ensure data gathering is done according standards and results are integrated into the project.
- Recruit and line-manage the project staff of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress, current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback. Provide coaching and technical supervision for staff to develop responsibility for the projects.
- Assess the training needs of staff and ensure that appropriate training is provided/conducted by yourself, other staff members or third parties.
- Manage the budget of the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Lead the team where needed in the selection, the set-up and the management of the cash assistance modalities for the project in alignment to sector standards.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned staff, Medair in-country and HQ focal points and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in several coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the project staff and higher management on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities in regards to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the project
- Liaise, as necessary, with the Project Support Manager, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills. Problem solving ability, excellent communicator.