Washington (United States of America)
Evidence Advisor, Adolescents 360 (A360)
Based in Nairobi, Kenya or Washington, DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to A360 Project Director with a dotted line to the Evidence Team
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
A360 is a global adolescent sexual and reproductive health project, being implemented in Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania. The project used a multi-disciplinary human centered design process to develop, prototype and pilot interventions and is now in scale up phase. The project has an external evaluation comprising a process evaluation, cost-effectiveness evaluation and outcome evaluation.
The Evidence Advisor will work with the project team, country teams and other PSI departments to ensure we have the capacity to track performance against our indicators, validate data, collect insights and the capacity to analyze data and use it for decision-making and disseminate… The Evidence Advisor will report to the Project Director. The position is based either in Washington, DC or in Nairobi, Kenya with approximately 30% travel.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Adapt our monitoring and evaluation (M&E) strategy as the contexts and demands of the project and its stakeholders evolve.
- Work with the A360 country M&E leads to develop country M&E work plans that align with the global A360 M&E plan; ensure teams have systems necessary to collect relevant data.
- Partner with PSI departments to improve processes, data analysis and integrity, management information systems (MIS), and other initiatives.
- Ensure A360 countries have a dedicated M&E lead to support the project; provide supportive supervision, including monitoring progress against the M&E plan and providing technical assistance and coaching.
Policies and protocols
- Work with PSI's global Evidence team to ensure there are fit-for-purpose protocols in place for client exit interviews and mystery client surveys with adolescents; ensure A360 country teams are trained on these protocols, in person or remotely.
- Ensure ethics approvals required (local and / or global) are secured in a timely manner and follow documented data sharing agreements.
- Work with the A360 global and country teams to ensure there are adequate processes in place for data storage and sharing, that are compliant with PSI's data protection policies.
- Work with A360 global and country teams to develop a strategy for youth engagement at key 'pause points', including annually and when encountering challenges (e.g. mobilization, conversion, method mix, quality, continuation, sustainability).
- Work with global Evidence team and A360 country teams to develop any A360-specific research protocols.
- Client insight
- Work with A360 country teams to ensure client exit interviews are conducted with adolescents who attend counselling at least once a year to understand their referral pathway, the client experience, quality and decision-making on non-use or uptake and method choice.
- Work with A360 country teams to ensure mystery client surveys are conducted by adolescents at least once a year to understand the client experience, quality and provider behavior; implement action plans accordingly
- Aggregate the client insight
- Conduct internal data quality audits and annual external data quality audits and ensure that action plans are in place post audit
Data analytics and use
- Work with PSI's global Evidence team and A360 country teams to set up, maintain and where necessary improve dashboards on DHIS2, ensuring the core of these aligns with the A360 results framework and A360learninghub dashboard.
- Work with PSI's global Evidence team to train the A360 country teams on Data2Action.
- Work with PSI's global IT team, our A360learninghub developers and PSI's global External Relations and Communications (ERC) team to maintain PowerBI-powered dashboards on the A360learninghub website.
- Work with A360's Implementation Science & Learning Advisor to ensure the A360 country teams use qualitative and quantitative data to facilitate continuous improvement and adaptive management.
- Support A360's Implementation Science & Learning Advisor to document adaptations in the implementation model and the qualitative and quantitative data behind these decisions.
- Work with A360 country teams to ensure data is reported up in a timely manner.
- Work with PSI's global Evidence, Research and Business Systems teams to develop a means of measuring continuation / discontinuation, to establish a baseline in 2019.
- Work with A360's Implementation Science & Learning Advisor to support A360's country teams to write evidence-based research reports, abstracts and publications.
- Build and manage the M&E workplan and M&E budget.
- Other duties as required.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- Masters degree in a related field (public health, research, development, etc.).
- 5-10 years of experience monitoring and evaluating health and/or youth programs.
- Client-focused team player; Sara is our focus, there's no room for egos.
- Passionate about adolescents' reproductive health rights.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research and analytical skills.
- Experience of conducting client insight studies such as client exit interviews.
- Strong understanding of FP2020, PMA and DHS data relating to SRH.
- Practical experience of using management information systems such as DHIS2, electronic data collection, mHealth solutions and analytics tools such as PowerBI.
- Experience engaging beneficiaries such as youth in monitoring and evaluation.
- Familiarity with human centred design.
- Ability to interpret data and explain findings to non-technical audiences.
- At least 2 years' experience of living and working in sub-Saharan
- Proven experience mentoring national teams and developing their technical capacity.
- Excellent written and verbal English and inter-personal communication skills.
- High-level attention to detail and effective time management skills.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- Can hit the ground running: You have substantial hands on experience of leading the monitoring and evaluation of SRH programs. You are networked in the sector and may even have networks within PSI that you will be able to harness once you start.
- Pragmatic: You understand both the realities of the field and the donor-implementer relationship. You can find practical, cost-effective and creative solutions to the challenges.
- Passionate: You have an intrinsic motivation to work in this sector and want your career to count for something. You are excited about the contribution the project can make to the field.
- Balanced: You are confident in your own abilities and know that if this works out well it will lead to other opportunities. But you are humble and self-aware enough to admit your mistakes and reach out to others for support.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.