Programme Support Manager
South Sudan (South Sudan)
Programme Support Manager
The Programme Support Manager (PRSM) is key to the efficient and effective running of the country programme. This roving, varied and challenging role involves covering support (administrative, base, finance, human, logistics) and programmes gaps (in as much as they do not have further technical requirements) where needed.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in South Sudan. This is a roving role, covering gaps and providing additional support where needed.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Covering programme gaps such as general project management tasks
- Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned projects. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget.
- Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction.
- Manage and train staff to meet quality standards in programme delivery.
- Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new project proposals and reports.
Programme funding – proposal writing support extra capacity
- Provide the Programme Funding Manager (PFM) with support in researching new funding sources, preparing specific bids, proposals and reports for submission to institutional donors as well as donor relationship management and maintenance of appropriate information systems.
- Providing strategic support, monitoring, review and evaluation of Medair programmes, supporting grant coordination.
Roving Project Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with the programme teams supporting programme strategy through the support functions.
- Supervise financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Oversee human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
- Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
- Ensure security procedures are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information. This includes reviewing security arrangements on a regular basis, maintaining communication, providing briefings and ensuring the availability of emergency equipment.
- Attend relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information, as applicable, to the appropriate managers and staff.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times and especially when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice and support.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library, internet, portfolio and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 5 years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Dynamic and mature personality, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.