Requisition ID: req5295
Job Title: RSC Director
Sector: Immigration & Citizenship
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
The Director is a senior managerial position responsible for providing the strategic vision and leadership for the Resettlement Support Center’s processing and related programs. This includes cultural orientation (CO) funded by the US Department of State; Bureau of Population, Refugees & Migration (PRM). The position is responsible for ensuring:
Quality design and delivery of RSC programs throughout the Asia region
Management of donor and government relations
Compliance with the US Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) policies issued by the donor, including the USRAP Program Integrity Guidelines
Development of a motivated and professional team
RSC’s programmatic alignment with the overall IRC regional strategy
The Director directly supervises the RSC Deputy Director in Kuala Lumpur; the Senior Program Coordinator, Cultural Orientation and Training Coordinator; and the Integrity and Compliance Coordinator, all based in Bangkok. The position reports to the Regional VP, Asia to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the program within Asia. It also receives technical supervision from the Senior Director, Processing and Resettlement Programs, in regards to program delivery.
Strategy and Management
- Develop resettlement program multi-year and annual strategic plans and budget in alignment with donor requirements
- Oversee donor funded resettlement programs in Asia through integrated planning and review exercises in close coordination with senior staff
- Develop and maintain technical assistance resources for the IRC in Refugee Processing, Cultural Orientation programming and identify programmatic opportunities in these sectors
- Ensure all resettlement programming and structures stay in sync with donor and IRC global standards
Program Quality and Development
- Actively monitor and respond to changing refugee dynamics and demography throughout the region
- Ensure that fiscal year processing targets are met, including prescreening and presentations to USCIS and departures
- Handle the Worldwide Refugee Access Processing System (WRAPS) – functions of RSC and ensure all data is handled according to PRM and IRC policy.
- Develop and monitor the RSC budget in conjunction with the Thailand Finance team, and the RSC Deputy Director and Senior Finance Manager in Malaysia
- Ensure the continued successful implementation and supervision of a Cultural Orientation program for refugees approved for admission to the US
- Conduct regular field monitoring visits to ensure proper coordination and management of all project activities and compliance with donor regulations and policies
Key Partners & Donor Relations
- Promote regular and consistent communication with the Regional Refugee Coordinator and PRM Program Officer on the status of RSC processing activities
- Ensure effective resettlement program implementation by leading and fostering relationships with key program partners across the region, including PRM, USCIS, UNHCR and IOM.
- Ensure the compliance of monthly programmatic, statistical and financial information provided to the IRC leadership according to donor and internal IRC data analysis requirements
- Maintain relationship with US Programs and institute formal programs such as staff exchanges, conference attendance and exchange of knowledge within communities of practices
- Ensure RSC programs remain responsive to the Thai and Malaysian governments
- Represent IRC and RSC program in key meetings
Human Resource Management, Staff Development & Retention
- Oversee management of RSC program staff to ensure an efficient, cooperative and quality-conscious workforce capable of meeting emerging programmatic challenges
- Promote a team approach and positive learning environment that empowers staff to take responsibility and show initiative
- Identify training needs and recommend development opportunities for staff
- Support and hold senior management staff accountable for providing staff development opportunities
- Provide performance feedback
- Ensure direct reports receive bi-annual evaluations following IRC PME guidelines
- Assess existing and future staffing needs to build appropriate capacity within the RSC in order to fulfill program objectives
- Ensure that RSC project staff are in compliance with IRC and donor policies
- Lead recruitment of RSC program staff in coordination with HR senior management
- Provide guidance and support in organization structure changes
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree in a related field is a plus.
- Minimum 10-15 years of progressive work experience handling social service or humanitarian assistance programs in an international setting.
- Experience in refugee progressing or resettlement highly desired.
Preferred experience & skills:
- Strong people management and leadership skills: ability to lead staff and promote productivity, particularly during program transitions
- Strong expertise in strategy planning, monitoring, and budgeting
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal; excellent presentation and report-writing skills; able to convey information effectively to colleagues and partners in a cross-cultural environment
- Solid organizational and program implementation skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time, and meet deadlines; strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- You can work in a complex, dynamic environment, and are able to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- You are client centered with a service oriented attitude, a great teammate who works effectively with partners at all levels.
- You have a proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and the ability to handle situations diplomatically and to effective resolution
- You understand appreciate complex safety and security situations and manage situations appropriately
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Standard office working environment
- Both domestic and international travel are required, including to remote and/or insecure locations