SURGE CAPACITY ROSTER: Humanitarian Coordinator
Multiple locations (Various)
UNFPA's Global Emergency (Surge) Roster contains the various profiles of personnel needed in emergency and humanitarian situations. In the event of an emergency or humanitarian crisis, candidates who are on the Roster will be deployed to the affected country (or countries) within 48-72 hours. Candidates selected for the Surge Roster will be invited to attend a workshop and simulation exercise and will be given access to training to augment the effectiveness of the Surge team members.
Under the overall direction of the UNFPA Representative and directly reporting to the Deputy Representative the incumbent will ensure effective and efficient coordination, programmatic and operational support to UNFPA’s humanitarian programming and response in Afghanistan as relevant, supporting CO in implementing the Country Action Programme Plan 2015-2019. The thematic focus of the humanitarian support will be centered on Reproductive Health with support to GBV as required by the Gender team, but will also coordinate the country office’s response and planning related to youth and data.
- Advanced degree in Humanitarian Assistance, Public Health, Social Sciences, Demography, Gender and/or other related fields;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience preferably in humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management, public health or other related areas, prior experience in region an asset;
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, humanitarian programming and coordination;
- Proven management, coordination and of programme development skills;
- Analytical and strategic thinking, results oriented, commitment to excellence and able to work efficiently under high pressure;
- Track record of building strategic alliances and partnerships, strong communication and networking skills; strong organizational skills;
- Appropriate and transparent decision making abilities;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN humanitarian relief operations and procedures;
- Good level of emotional intelligence, empathy and conflict management as well as negotiating skills;
- Excellent English;
- Prior UNFPA surge deployments undertaken, is an asset.