Finance Specialist - Strategic Resources Planning
New York City (United States of America)
- Formulation and implementation of corporate financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures;
- Formulation, alignment, documentation and implementation of UNDP’s funding frameworks, assuring their integrity, viability and alignment with the Strategic Plan;
- Provision of policy guidance, advisory services and operational support to strengthen client capacities and help them achieve results, seeking to build consensus within UNDP and with key stakeholders on critical budgetary related matters requiring Executive Board legislation;
- Administration of the organization’s internal control framework, overseeing and monitoring financial management of all global UNDP offices, including through formulation/implementation of resource planning, management and oversight tools and reports;
- Promoting clear accountability for financial transactions and producing financial statements, including financial reporting to donors and the UNDP Executive Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the preparation of reports, collection and analysis of information for the preparation of position papers, budget related documents and Executive Board documents on corporate matters assigned to OFRM, BMS.
- Contributes to related activities on the integrated financial resource planning and monitoring framework and alignment of relevant mechanisms.
- Provides relevant key data and analysis thereof.
- Prepares planning models and scenarios to facilitate decision making by senior management.
- Supports the negotiation of budget strategy and institutional results framework.
- Leads in the development of UNDP IPSAS-compliant management reports that assess UNDP’s performance, stewardship of assets and evaluation of decisions associated with strategic resource planning and allocation.
- Contributes to interagency knowledge sharing and cooperation in the areas of planning and performance assessment, results based management and results based budgeting.
- Conducts trainings; provides guidance to RBx, HQ units and COs on the corporate resource planning related performance and management.
- Working closely with organization-wide planning focal points, contributes to the integration of the financial and substantive planning, monitoring and performance assessment within UNDP.
- In the context of the new Strategic Plan and Integrated Budget, supports the design of the results framework in collaboration with the relevant organizational units, i.e. refinement of relevant results, indicators, targets and baselines, including the reporting framework.
- Design training materials to facilitate the implementation of the integrated financial resources framework across the entire organization.
- Help ensure appropriate tools are designed and available for the different parts of the organization to implement the integrated financial resources framework and multi year budgeting.
- Support clients in promoting integrated financial resources planning and multi-year budgeting.
- Provide costing and analysis to aid in the formulation of UNDP’s institutional budget.
- Involvement with advancing strategic initiatives within OFRM. Responds to ad hoc queries and takes an active role in special projects when assigned.
- With reference to the UNDP operating environment, and within the context of strengthening organization-wide strategic resources planning, ensure alignment with with UNDP Financial Regulations and Rules and IPSAS.
- Oversee the maintenance and upgrading of the resource planning, management & monitoring reports and performance dashboards.
All of the results delivered by the Finance Specialist have critical corporate level impacts. They will contribute to build the strategic financial planning, resource allocation, monitoring and performance assessment loop of UNDP, both at the Senior Management level as well as the office and staff levels.
- Proven IPSAS/International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) skills and ability to develop accounting policies applying relevant IPSAS concepts and an appropriate development process.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan as well as work plan of direct report(s).
- Proven ability to work under pressure and produce output that is accurate, timely and of high quality. Ability to manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to keep abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office.
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, and shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally. Ability to prepare reports, formulate positions on issues, articulate options concisely conveying maximum necessary information, and making and defending recommendations.
- Ability to identify clients' needs and propose appropriate solutions as well as establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients.
- Resourcefulness, good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with financial counterparts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business, Finance/Accounting or a relevant discipline or a professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Those with professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience at the national and/or international levels in leadership roles within recognized development structures or organizations in a multi-cultural setting, with a proven track record of strategic resource planning and policy development areas.
- Highly refined analytical capacity and drafting skills.
- Proven track record of excellent management and leadership skills.
- Work experience in assignments with the UN system desirable.
- Knowledge of business modeling and practical application of the RBM principles.
- A strong team player, with a shared belief in UNDP’s mission and mandate
- Supervisory skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with an adequate working knowledge of another UN language preferred.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.