Security Assistant G4 (Security of Executive Di, Counter Surveillance, Event Security) - Rome, Italy
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Please note that this vacancy announcement is being issued externally and internally
This position is found at WFP Headquarters (WFP). Job holders report to the Senior Security Assistant. At this level, job holders are expected to have some knowledge of the related specialized functions. Job holders may be required to augment other units within the section when necessary, and to report for duty on short notice in the event of an emergency. Security personnel to know UNSMS policy including Use of Force policy.
Our Security Team at our headquarters in Rome, Italy, is looking to fill two positions of Security Assistant (Security of Executive Director, Counter Surveillance, Event Security) at the G4 level.
The incumbent will be acting as a specialist in the area of VIP escort, counter surveillance and event security. The incumbent might be required to:
- travel to the field
- wear uniform or civilian clothes
- work on 24/7 rotation basis shifts
- report for duty with short notice and be ready on call
1. Assist in reviewing security threat and risk situations, compile factual information, to facilitate reporting and decision-making process.
2. Liaise with local administration, security and law enforcement authorities, communities, UN/NGO security staff and other actors to facilitate access for safe programme delivery and to mitigate possible risks against staff and other resources.
3. Assist in coordination, preparation and conduct of field missions including tracking of staff, and conduct regular security assessments in the area of responsibility to support safe and effective programme delivery.
4. Assist in preparation of security assessment reports after field missions, to support security situation analysis and facilitate decision-making.
5. Support compiling routine security reports and manage information related to significant security incidents, to ensure relevant databases are accurately updated at all times.
6. Assist in implementation of all security risk management mitigating measures, including Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS), to support compliance at all times.
7. Assist in the inventory control and maintenance of security equipment, to ensure its appropriate functioning at all times.
8. Assist in monitoring that all access control procedures are effective and stringently followed by all staff and visitors, to ensure accountability and maintenance of safe and secure environment.
9. Contribute to the update of emergency and contingency planning documentation including physical preparations and procedures to support preparedness for the crisis.
10. Assist in implementation of training plans to address staff development needs.
11. Assist in supervising Guards and provide on-the-job training to support their development and high performance.
- Provides driving/escort/close protection security for WFP ED, visiting UN senior officials, and VIPs whose Personal Security Risk Assessment (PSRA) is deemed to be at an elevated risk level, by preventing and minimizing the effect of a confrontation or assault intended to cause physical harm or embarrassment to him/her
- Prepares/practices emergency response and evacuation procedures for Principal, as relevant
- Performs visual rounds in civilian clothing around the WFP HQ using counter surveillance and reconnaissance detection methodology to detect suspicious actions recognition in the immediate perimeter and vicinity of WFP HQ, monitors of key external points to detect "hostile" recognition
- Liaises/coordinates with WFP Protocol when Security Branch is requested to provide escorts and/or ensure security and safety during internal and external official events.
- Establish channels of communication with neighboring building administrators/security managers as sources of information adjacent to WFP HQ and establishes channels of expeditious communication with the relevant nearby local police stations
- Liaises/coordinates with WFP Protocol when Security Branch is requested to provide escorts and/or ensure security and safety during internal and external official events and liaises with Host Government or other diplomatic entities dealing with security escorts and/or close protection of visiting dignitaries to HQ.
- Collects security risk information daily (from open sources and other UN security entities) and maintains database of information on security and safety related issues.
Completion of secondary school education.
- Fluency (level C) in Italian (non-mother tongue candidates will be tested).
- Fluency (level C) in English (non-mother tongue candidates will be tested).
Four or more years of security related experience, in police or paramilitary authorities, other international/UN organizations or an appropriate private security company. Two year minimum of experience in VIP escort and driving is required.
- Excellent knowledge of essential driving skills, physical defensive techniques and procedures, and first aid.
- High sense of confidentially.
- Knowledge of standard office software packages; Microsoft Word, Access, Outlook, SharePoint
- Ability to use defensive protection equipment.
- Ability to liaise with other security and national police personnel.
- Ability to provide immediate intervention and assistance in case of emergency situations.
- Excellent physical and mental fitness
Courtesy, tact and the ability to work and deal effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Specialized security training in the area of VIP escort, defensive driving, close protection, counter surveillance and event security
- Any other UNSMS certification
Practical experience in use of UN Use-of-Force Continuum Policy equipment.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Strategic approach to security risk management||Demonstrates understanding of the strategic context in which the security function operates and the broader implications of day-to-day work.|
|Operational knowledge of security risk management||Demonstrates some understanding of day to day security operations. Contributes knowledge to development of resolutions to aspects of challenges faced, as directed.|
|Security resource management||Demonstrates ability to track and compile reports on HQ and Field staffing and financial resource usage on a project-level basis.|
|Analysis and solution development||Demonstrates understanding of key UN inter-governmental body partner agencies. Understands implications of security information and reports and supports in the identification of mitigating actions against threats and vulnerabilities to WFP’s operations.|
|Planning compliance and emergency management||Supports in planning and prioritisation practices in-line with established security policies and procedures.|
18 August 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.