Programme Policy Officer (Service Contract-SC)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In order to strenghten the capacities in Barbados we are looking for a solid candidate to provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
This position is based in WFP’s Barbados Office for Caribbean Preparedness and Response. The Office in Barbados is designed to implement a sub-regional emergency preparedness and response capacity-strengthening programme. The jobholder will have a Programme Policy Officer profile and will report to the Head of the Office or another official if designated.
To support the WFP Barbados Office in its efforts to provide quality technical assistance and capacity strengthening to the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) and its participating states and to support emergency response in the region as required.
- Contribute towards the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Provide support to the WFP Barbados Office in strategically positioning the multi-country strategic plan as well as other potential programmes and projects, within the development and political landscapes of the Caribbean.
- Provide leadership on the planning, coordination and facilitation of high-level/flagship events each year.
- Provide strategic advice to the Head of Office and other WFP Barbados staff on a variety of issues related to the dynamics of the Caribbean.
- Support WFP engagement in the context of the Multi country Sustainable Development Framework (MSDF) and engagement with the various UN Country Teams as well as with national counterparts, the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and its institutions.
- Research and analyse a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Lead communications efforts of the office, including on donor engagement and reporting, development of information tools and dissemination of information through WFP and partners social media and other outlets.
- Lead as focal point on monitoring and review (M&R) as well as evaluation, with support from other team members as required.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Other duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Language: Fluency in English in both oral and written communication.
• Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
• Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
• Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
Position: Programme Policy Officer
Unit: Barbados Office
Based in: Barbados
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SC) Equivalent to NOA
Duration: 12 Months
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgement.
This vacancy is available only to citizens of Barbados and OESC residents
Selected candidate will be employed on a Service Contract (SC)
* The Service contract holder is considered WFP personnel and is not governed by UN Staff Rules and Regulations. This contract does not carry any expectancy of renewal.
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
The deadline to apply to this post is Thursday, 15th August 2019 (COB).
Female applicants and qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.