Senior Social Protection and Safety Nets Officer, Short Term Professional, P-5 Mogadishu
Date of Issue: 5th September 2019 Closing Date: 18th September 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In 2019 WFP Somalia entered into negotiations with the Government of Somalia and the World Bank for the implementation of a national, WB-funded nutrition linked Safety Net programme, which is due to start in the last quarter of the year. Under this project, WFP will deliver unconditional cash transfers to 200,000 vulnerable households across the six states of Somalia and Somaliland, to allow them to meet their immediate consumption gaps and protect them against food insecurity and malnutrition risks, focusing primarily on rural areas,
The Senior Social Protection and Safety Net Officer, reporting to the Head of Programmes, will be responsible for the management and strategic development of the World Bank funded National Safety Net. He/she will oversee the overall project implementation and development of the project in coordination with the WFP Area Offices in Somalia; and be in charge of the direct relation for that specific project with the Government and UNICEF.
This position is based in WFP’s Country Office in Mogadishu. Female candidates are particularly and highly encouraged to apply.
The selected candidate will:
- Supervise the finalization of the community selection as relevant with the World Bank and the FGS, and in collaboration with WFP VAM, based on vulnerability to food insecurity and malnutrition.
- Support WFP Area Offices with partner selection for the programme, across Somalia and Somaliland.
- Finalize, in cooperation with WFP partners, the household targeting and criteria;
- Oversee community consultations and document findings; ensure that consultations are performed periodically.
- Revise the Stakeholder Engagement Plan based on the results of the community consultations
- Support the WFP office finalize the mobile money transfer solutions in the South-Central region of the country.
- Lead the overall successful implementation of the safety net, including implementation of transfers and monitoring, with a view to have the project renewed for years 2 and 3.
- Report on regular progresses and monitoring findings to MoLSA, through the Head of Programme and Office Management.
- Manage and further develop the partnership with the Government of Somalia on Social Protection and Safety Nets, in particular the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA)
- Provide advice to the HoP and Office Management, as well as Social Protection National Officers, clarify ambiguities and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions, and other relevant guidance.
- Provide solid technical and managerial leadership on the World Bank project as it develops (including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies).
- Provide support and technical expertise to government and senior stakeholders for the planning, formulation and implementation of social protection programmes.
- Identify, develop and nurture strategic and operational partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work. Under this project, ensure a close coordination with UNIECF to reach common and mutually reinforcing objectives
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in different forums on subjects related to food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience, engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts and other related issues, through direct participation and/or through briefings, information products and other materials.
- Monitor and oversee operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to food assistance to advocacy for WFP and to strengthen policy and programme formulation.
- Monitor and oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use to present a consistent picture to internal and external stakeholders and enable informed decision making.
- Advocate for resources, including clearly articulating the need for food assistance and related programme opportunities, and follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability.
- Advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partner to design and deliver effective food assistance programmes.
- Perform any other programme related duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Experience: Minimum 11 years of relevant post-graduate experience. Previous experience in social protection, safety nets and similar area is an advantage
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams, designing/managing operations, and shaping country-level operational strategies/partnerships.
- Proven experience in leading programmes at country/regional level and strategic managerial experience.
You are required to submit an online application through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.