Fund Design Junior Consultant
New York City (United States of America)
The Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office (MPTF Office) is a UN centre of expertise on pooled financing mechanisms. It supports development effectiveness and UN coherence through the efficient, accountable and transparent design and administration of innovative pooled financing instruments as well as provision of advisory services for fund operations.
Housed within UNDP, the MPTF Office is firewalled from all UN implementing entities, UNDP included. The MPTF Office has put in place a number of tools and systems to support its fund administration services, including a separate General Ledger Business Unit in ATLAS (MDTF1) and the MDTF Office GATEWAY (see mdtf.undp.org).
The MPTF Office’s current portfolio is over $10 billion in total (> 750 million/year) and includes over 100 pooled financing mechanisms (country-level and global MDTFs, Joint Programmes (JPs) and National Funds), established for humanitarian, transition, development and climate change activities.
The MPTF Office seeks the services of a junior consultant to assist the Senior Portfolio Manager (innovation, climate and environment) in the design of an innovative UN – Private sector partnership. This is a New York based consultancy for a period of 12 weeks with a possibility of two missions abroad to launch the initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct guidance and direction of the Senior Portfolio Manager-Innovation of the MPTF Office, the Fund Design Junior Consultant’s responsibilities will include the following main functions:Fund Formulation, Establishment
- Contributes to the design and development of an innovative UN Private Sector Partnership;
- Contributes to translation of the new fund objectives and theories of change into a concept note with a fund architecture, and governance structures;
- Identifies risk drivers and mitigation measures
- Evaluates and monitors financial viability;
- Contributes to the design and development of systems solutions to support the fund design.
- Contributes to the negotiation and finalization contribution agreements using pre-established legal agreements,
Coordination and Outreach
- Prepares and implements a coordination and outreach plan;
- Supports the organization of consultations with the stakeholders;
- Coordinates the launch event of the Fund;
- Plans and organizes outreach materials and events;
- A workplan for the design of the Fund is designed and implemented;
- All stakeholders are well coordinated and deliverables are achieved within the timeframe set by the Workplan
- The Fund ToRs are finalized, including a robust Theory of change, governance structure and programming cycle;
- A Fund raising Strategy is available and all supporting documentation (Deck, PowerPoint Presentation)
- The key legal agreements are signed;
- The Fund is ready to be operationalized.
- The Consultant will report to the Senior Fund Portfolio Manager
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Facilitates and encourages open communication
Ethics and Values
- Demonstrates an appreciation of differences in values and learning from cultural diversity
Working in Teams
- Works effectively with colleagues in achieving shared objectives
- Creates team spirit and unity of purpose across the organization
- Works collaboratively with team members in sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity.
Fund Architecture Design
- Knowledge of issues related to fund establishment, translation of a theory of change into a fund result matrix and result-based management system, governance architecture and programmatic cycle;
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Required Skills and Experience
- Postgraduate degree in public policy, development studies, political science, international relations, or related field;
- Payments are based upon output and based on actual number of days worked, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified above and deliverables accepted and upon certification of satisfactory completion by the manager.
- Two years of progressively responsible experience in an international development or relevant field.
- Experience in Trust Fund or Joint Programme design, management and reporting is an asset.
- Knowledge of project management, results-based reporting, monitoring and evaluation and basic financial terminology and analysis;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competence and integrity with people of different national backgrounds;
- Experience in working with UN agencies, multilaterals, donors or in the field of NGOs and CSOs
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of standard software packages. Must be able to provide all materials in Word-format and produce charts, graphs and tables to support the narrative;
- Fluency in English both written and spoken. French and Spanish would be an asset.
- Duly completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability (please find template here:Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability template link; In a separate file include a financial proposal with “all-inclusive (*)” daily fee.
- Your CV and/or P11 indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the consultant; short-listed candidates will be asked to submit their P11 and at least three (3) professional references;
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, which addresses the required qualifications and evaluation criteria;
- (*)“all-inclusive” implies that all costs (excluding mission travel) that could possibly be incurred by the Contractor are already factored into the final amounts submitted in the proposal
- Incomplete submissions may not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
- Individual consultants will be evaluated using the Cumulative Analysis methodology.
- When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation;
Technical Criteria (100 points)
- Candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (490 points) of the maximum obtainable points for the technical criteria (700 points) shall be considered for the financial evaluation.
- Relevant background in terms of educational and professional experience; (10%)
- Demonstrated in depth understanding of and experience with innovative financing mechanisms; (40%)
- Experience of working with the UN or International Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations; (20%)
- Demonstrated understanding of the thematic content of this assignment; (10%)
- Interview scoring (20%)
- Technical Criteria weight overall: 70%;
- Financial Criteria weight overall: 30%.
Financial evaluation - Total 30% (300 points)
- The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
- p = y (µ/z), where
- p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
- y = maximum number of points for the financial proposal
- µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
- z = price of the proposal being evaluated
Annexes (click on the hyperlink to access the documents):
Annex 1 - UNDP P-11 Form for ICs
Annex 2 - IC Contract Template
Annex 3 – IC General Terms and Conditions
Annex 4 – RLA Template
Any request for clarification must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff, and equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Well qualified candidates, particularly women and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply”.UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.