Interns, Cities Alliance , Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
Cities Alliance, which is hosted by UNOPS, is a global partnership for the promotion of cities in poverty reduction and sustainable development. Headquartered in Brussels and supported by a Secretariat, it is a unique partnership with a diverse membership - including global organisations of local authorities, national governments, international non-governmental organisations, foundations, knowledge networks and multilateral organisations – which have come together to strengthen both impacts and coherence in urban development.
Cities Alliance is a global leader, with a strong track record in grant making, that supports strategic city planning, slum upgrading strategies and national policies designed to make cities more inclusive and sustainable. Through UNOPS, the Cities Alliance operates a Multi-Donor Fund supported by an efficient, flexible grant-making mechanism with global reach.
Cities Alliance is implementing its 2018-2021 Strategic Plan, with a recalibrated business model combining a Global window for normative work and a Country/City window for operations across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the MENA region.
The Cities Alliance Secretariat is recruiting for multiple internship positions and seeking highly motivated, dynamic and skilled interns who will have the opportunity to work with senior and experienced professionals and get exposed to learning and professional development.
For the duration of their internship, interns will be members of project teams, participate in meetings, support specific exercises and provide assistance to meet business needs. Interns may be expected to travel for specific events. Interns will work under the guidance of a Task Manager in any, or a combination, of the following themes (list non-exhaustive – more information can be found on www.citiesalliance.org):
- Communications and Websites
- Business Development and Fundraising
- Knowledge Management
4. Inclusive, gender-responsive and sustainable urban development, urban legal and land policies framework, urban governance and planning, urban services and infrastructure, citizenship and social inclusion, urban economy and environment;
The Secretariat will assign successful candidates to either corporate and/or programmatic areas depending on the profiles of the candidates and the business needs. However, kindly state in your motivation letter if any corporate or thematic area is of particular interest.
- Provide operational assistance to project teams.
- Carry out research and analysis to support project implementation or other business needs.
- Assist with information and knowledge management.
- Assist with the organisation of international events, global dialogues and workshops.
- Draft articles on key themes, emerging trends and achievements. Provide inputs to concept notes and synthesize research findings.
- Draft briefing notes, talking points, power point presentations and assist with communication and dissemination.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- All applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s Degree or Ph. D. program (or equivalent); or have graduated from such studies within three (3) years prior to the application date of the internship.
- Area of study and interest should be preferably one of the following: Urban Studies, Business Administration, Development Studies, Economics, Finance, Social Sciences, Political Science, Communications/Journalism or related fields.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience but some international work experience and exposure is desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN languages would be considered an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Excellent communication skills with ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment balancing multiple tasks
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary environments.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months with possible extension,
Applicants with the proven right to live and work in Belgium and the EU are highly encouraged to apply.Interns should confirm that they are fit specifically for the duty station conditions, as certified by a medical practitioner. The Interns are responsible for receiving clearance from a medical doctor to travel and perform this internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.