Robotics Engineer (EN-SMM-MRO-2019-117-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You’ve always wanted to be challenged with the exploitation of robotics solutions for inspection and maintenance in challenging environments? You want to manage projects from the initial design stages up to the commissioning phases? You want to apply your robotic engineering knowledge to design, develop and maintain complex robotic devices? If you relish a challenge, join CERN`s Mechatronics, Robotics and Operation section and realize your potential. Take part!
You will join:
Within the Engineering Department, the Survey Mechatronics and Measurements Group (SMM), and in particular the Mechatronics, Robotics and Operation section, responsible for the design and the operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerators beam intercepting devices (BIDs) as well as the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in hazardous areas.
The SMM group is, in addition, responsible for geodetic metrology of the accelerators and experiments for the whole CERN site and provides support for all measurements, test systems and data analysis applications based on LabVIEW as well as support on radiation tests of electronic components and systems for radiation tolerant design.
As a Robotic Engineer in the SMM Group, you will follow up the conception and realization of novel robotic systems for inspection and maintenance, as well as their operation within the CERN accelerator complex to reduce human exposure to hazards and increase machines availability. You will drive the mechatronics engineering aspect for robotic projects from concept through verification and validation to implementation. You will design and implement new robotic control systems, end effectors, tools and intervention procedures based on the requirement of new missions.
More in particular, you will:
- Design, prototype, construct and operate of custom robotics solutions, with particular focus on mechatronics and controls aspects.
- Take the responsibility for the selection, acceptance tests, integration and operation of off the shelf robotic systems/solutions.
- Develop and support, robotic mechanical interfaces, end effectors and remote manipulation tools to be applied to different robotic platforms.
- Design, develop and support mock-ups for the acceptance tests of robotic systems, intervention procedures, tools, sensors, actuators.
- Prepare operational procedures for remote intervention in unstructured and harsh environment, including failure modes analysis and recovery scenarios.
- Under operational conditions, monitor, test and debug the robots behavior to understand and correct possible root-cause and/or failure mode.
- Prepare technical documentation, test plans and test results, analyze results and provide conclusive reports.
- Mentor junior developers and robot operators.
- Interact with other groups at CERN, in particular those in charge of equipment that need remote maintenance, and with the health and safety department, in order to optimize the performance of the robotic missions as well as proposing solution for robotic reconnaissance missions.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of robotics, mechatronics, electrical or electronics or computer engineering or a related field.
- Extensive experience in robotics with a sincere passion for mechatronics designs and robotic control theory.
- Experience with mechatronic prototyping, design for manufacturability, assembly techniques, acceptance tests, materials and 3D printing technologies.
- Experience with design of complex robotic systems, testing and debugging including their mechanical interfaces, end effectors, haptic devices and tools.
- Proven experience in the remote operation of robotic systems in complex and hazardous environments, together with systems performance and availability monitoring.
- Experience in path planning and navigation is an asset
- Design and construction of mechatronic and robotic systems: fluency in CAD tools
- Integration of robotic systems in complex environments.
- Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in robotic designs.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of robotic systems.
- Functional analysis of mechatronic systems and low-level robotic controls.
- Knowledge of C++, python and mathematical modeling of robots would be a plus.
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15/12/2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-SMM-MRO-2019-117-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further