Technical Officer (Biodiversity)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (CGRFA) keeps under review all matters related to the Organization's policy, programmes and activities regarding all components of biodiversity of relevance to food and agriculture. The Secretariat of the Commission prepares and supports sessions of the Commissions and in close collaboration with respective technical units, follows up on its decisions. It also monitors and reports to the Commission developments in relevant international bodies and processes. The Commission's Multi-Year Programme of Work (MYPOW) facilitates the implementation of its full mandate in a planned and staged approach and allows it to program its cooperation with other relevant international instruments and to coordinate with relevant processes. This post will directly contribute to this work.
The Technical Officer (Biodiversity) reports to the Secretary of the Commission.
Comprehensive technical and policy support to the planning, development and implementation of programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Objectives and the Commission's MYPOW.
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and project/meeting services to support programme projects, products and services.
• Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
• Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
• Updates databases and web pages;
• Participates in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars;
• Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Supports the Secretariat in the provision of secretarial and operational support to the implementation of the Commission's Strategic Plan and the MYPOW and to the interdepartmental MYPOW Task Force;
• Supports the policy and technical review to The State of the World's Biodiversity for Food and Agriculture report;
• Contributes to the preparation of documents for Regular Sessions of the Commission and its subsidiary bodies related to cross-cutting issues relevant to biodiversity for food and agriculture, including climate change;
• Assists in the monitoring of policy, legal and technical developments of other international instruments in the spheres of biodiversity and environment, for their relevance in implementing the MYPOW;
• Drafts documents and briefs for communicating the Commission's activities in the field of biodiversity to a wide range of stakeholders;
• Performs other duties as requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in natural resources, social sciences, science management or a related field;
• Three years of relevant experience in natural resources management, including biodiversity and climate change;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Result focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Extent and relevance of knowledge of technical and policy matters related to biodiversity for food and agriculture;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific and policy documents and in organizing meetings and workshops;
• Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data;
• Working knowledge of French is desirable.