Consultant - Communications & IT Associate - Independent Evaluation Office
New York City (United States of America)
The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) is the UN’s Global Development Network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in over 170 countries, employing participatory approaches to developing local solutions to national and global development challenges. UNDPs core vision is to help countries achieve simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
The UNDP Independent Evaluation Office (IEO) works to enhance the development effectiveness of UNDP to help people build a better life. IEO strengthens accountability and learning through evaluation and partnership. The Independent Evaluation Office conducts strategic, thematic, programmatic and country level evaluations. To enhance the utility of its evaluations and raise awareness amongst its target audiences, the IEO’s communications, outreach and IT team are responsible for implementing a comprehensive communications and digital strategy, including IEO’s corporate web and intranet sites; and all aspects of digital media channels with cutting-edge multi-media and social media approaches, products, and platforms.
Within this structure and due to the increasing demand for evaluation products, assets and platforms and to engage audiences across multiple dissemination platforms, the communications and IT unit of IEO seek a consultant to support (i) communications and dissemination activities; and (ii) IT activities. In 2019 the IEO produced over 30 evaluation products and is planning to produce over 50 publications and products including evaluation reports, annual reports, infographic briefs, national evaluation capacity proceedings and other advocacy products in 2020. The successful candidate will be based in IEO’s New York office and will be responsible for supporting IEO’s cutting-edge digital approaches, services, and platforms, including researching into current UNDP digital trends and channels as per the latest UNDP Digital Strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide administrative support to the IT specialist including and not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Maintain the overall office internal MS SharePoint site ensuring the contents are relevant and up-to-date; support the updating and archiving of IEO repositories on SharePoint and share drive.
- Support IEO’s skype meetings, webinars, stakeholder meetings and other IEO virtual events.
- Troubleshoot IT problems within the office and provide IT support. Install, configure and maintain desktops, laptops, mobile devices, printers, copiers, video conferencing equipment and software applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe, Acrobat Pro, document management, printing, case management, document sharing, remote access, data file storage, and others.
- Perform trouble shooting as needed to resolve issues; create and maintain user accounts and permissions for staff and consultants.
- Procure and track all hardware inventory and system documentation. Coordinate service for equipment in and out of warranty. Work with vendors to evaluate new technology and make recommendations.
- Support for testing and providing feedback on new image builds, software releases, and hardware standards; support asset management and tagging of office inventory.
- Support development of visuals and creatives for the IEO website, Power Points and other platforms.
- Provide research support and other IT tasks as required.
Provide administrative support to the Communications and Production team including and not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Disseminate and distribute all hardcopy IEO publications and outreach materials to identified internal and external audiences. Take stock of office inventory and display of publications and ensure stocks can meet demand.
- Serve as printer focal point and implement processes for printing and liaise with printers, print shops and other suppliers to ensure print production and delivery to meet events and meeting deadlines; track, receive, unpack/pack shipments and packages.
- Maintain and update contacts database, ensuring that the mailing list is complete and up-to-date and serves as an effective tool for distribution.
- Focal point for IEO’s photography and maintains IEO’s Flickr account. Maintain the photo and graphic repository.
- Perform video editing and/or procure the video services and serve as focal point for internal video recordings; maintain IEO’s YouTube account with accurate tagging.
- Support publishing tasks as required such as coordinating printing, uploads on ERC, formatting documents, channel pre/post production phases; maintain and manage shared folders for various documents, photos, files and figures and other tasks as requested.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to perform a broad range of administrative activities
- Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial resources rules and regulations in work situations.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date though self-directed study and other means of learning.
Planning and Organizing
- Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadlines. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
- Promotes respectful and effective communication with all individuals regardless of gender, national and cultural background.
- Organized, resourceful and a team player.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation skills
- Takes and interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; thinks outside the box
- Anticipates concerns and needs of clients and responds with appropriate solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment.
- Demonstrates problem solving and action oriented approach.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education;
- A University Degree in Communications, Economics, Political Sciences and/or Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Required skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience; familiarity with the UN system an asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required;
- Excellent design and presentation skills are required;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Package (word, excel, PowerPoint) required;
- Good research skills required;
- Knowledge of SharePoint or other data base systems an asset
- Knowledge of video editing and/or knowledge of procuring video editing services an asset;
- Knowledge of InDesign or Photoshop an asset;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language an asset.
Please note that this position is only open to US Citizens, Permanent Residents of the USA ("green card holders") and those who are currently under a G4 visa.