General coordinator (M/F) - Manila
For more than 35 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use and sexual practices, emergencies and crisis, and harmful environment.
MdM presence in The Philippines goes back to 1996 when the organisation participated in the emergency response after the typhoon Rosing. Later, in 1997, MdM provided Primary Health services to isolated population in several islands until 1998 and in 2013 MdM participated in the emergency response after the disaster caused by the typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda on Leyte Island.
Between 2012-2016 MdM implemented a long-term project with the objective of mitigating sanitary and environmental consequences of informal dismantling of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) in four urban poor communities of Manila metro area.
A new project taking a more holistic approach towards environmental health, working with a bottom-up community approach has started in January 2018 and is currently running until December 2020. This project aims to empower the community members of Barangay 775 to become active agents of change and enable them to improve their own living conditions & environment, directly positively affecting their personal but also public health issues.
In addition to this project, the decision has been made in 2018 to launch an exploratory mission and to develop a new Sexual and Reproductive Health project in order to improve access to integrated sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and HIV/AIDS services for adolescents and young people in Metro Manilla. This project is now set to start in early 2020.
Considering the high frequency of natural hazard in the Philippines, the GenCo will also take part in early surveillance mechanisms, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and emergency preparedness clusters at country and provincial levels.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the Desk Manager, the General Coordinator is responsible for the overall management of the MdM Philippines mission. He will co-design MdM overall strategy in the Philippines (alongside the Desk Officer in HQ and the RM) and provide leadership for the country program. The General Coordinator will develop a fundraising strategy and ensure relations with donors in the Philippines. He will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, finalizing project documents and supervise new projects in 2020-2021.
The General Coordinator is the direct line manager of 1 Program Manager, 1 Medical advisor and 1 Finance and Administrative Manager. He will manage a team of 7 national staff in total.
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
Mission strategy management and coordination
- Coordinating the country strategy revision/update on a yearly basis after consultation with the team, the Desk Officer and the RMs. Contributes to the updated version validation by HQ key fora (technical and regional groups, board of directors, etc.).
- Planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of country programs, including the finalization of key project documents.
- Ensuring the compliance of all implemented activities and programs with MdM strategy, principles and guidelines.
- Ensuring good coordination between logistics, administrative (finance and human resources) and programme departments for a smooth implementation of all activities.
- Coordinating with HQ referent and support resources to ensure the qualitative program implementation in line with MdM values and principles.
- Exploring, establishing and maintaining partnership relations and collaboration with local authorities.
- Participate in advocacy strategy and implementation.
Team Management and Human Resources
- Leading the country coordination team, and as such, plays a leading role in the implementation of management procedures and decisions, and in relaying HQ decisions and information to the MdM team in the Philippines.
- Overall management and supervision of the entire mission and direct management of 3 employees.
- Ensuring that the Mission Organigram and allocation of Human resources is matching with the mission needs.
- Ensuring consistency with Philippines labour laws in all HR issues including staff dismissal.
- Ensuring that appropriate human resources / legal issues, administrative, financial and logistics procedures are implemented and maintained in accordance with the MdM rules and guidelines.
- Facilitating smooth communication between team members and holds conflict management duties when needed.
- Making sure that MdM Philippines guidelines and procedures are in line with MdM France one’s and are updated regularly when needed.
Security rules implementation / Disaster Management
- Responsible for the overall safety and security of MdM teams, sites and assets in the Philippines.
- Conducting regular analysis of the context and security conditions, with a view to shape and adapts safety and security rules and communicate with HQ any significant changes/event/incident.
- Ensuring the implementation of security rules and procedures, including providing briefings about safety and security when required, and ensure that they are maintained, updated and adhered to by the teams.
- Participate to Disaster Risk Reduction networks and clusters.
- In case of natural disaster alert (especially typhoons), monitor developments, maintains communication trees (mission, region and HQ), attends coordination and clusters meetings, and prepares possible responses, with the support of the Emergency Desk Unit at HQ.
Administrative, Finance and Logistic Supervision
- Managing the Administrative and Finance Manager, who receives technical back up from the finance/accounting department in Paris, to ensure compliance with donor procedures and national administrative and legal regulations.
- Guarantying transparency of fund use and all programmatic expenditure.
- Giving approval for expenses, based on donor procedures and MdM internal guidelines.
- Participating in the design and approval of new budget proposals for donors, preparation of annual budgets and monthly budget follow up analysis.
- Overseeing compliance with and respect for agreements and contracts.
- Supervising the process of renewing the MoU with the government if necessary.
- Ensuring compliance with tax regulations and yearly audit recommendations if any.
- managing the Logistics Coordinator, who receives technical back up from the Logistics Advisor in HQ.
- Ensuring that appropriate logistics procedures are maintained in accordance with MdM rules and/or donor guidelines.
- Maintaining high quality supply chain management, to ensure that programme needs are met in compliance with donor and MdM regulations.
Reporting and communication
- Responsible for regular reporting on the mission activities implemented in the Philippines.
- Preparing reports and proposals for donors, makes sure that they are written in line with donor requirements.
- Regular reporting to HQ (context analysis through monthly written co-ordination reports, incident reports, regular e-mails and phone contacts).
- Relaying relevant information from HQ to the Philippines teams, organises consultations and provides feedback when required.
- Liaising with Desk officer, RM and technical/thematic referent for regular updates regarding the mission to HQ team.
Representation, fundraising and networking
- Developing a fundraising strategy and exploring funding opportunities in country and networking with donors;
- Representing MdM to Local Authorities, International Donors, International Organisations and other NGOs; Responsible to the proper diffusion of MdM Philippines mission strategy in-country.
- Carrying out negotiations with the authorities at different levels and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with agreements and contracts;
- Representing MdM in national and international fora if relevant.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: 07/01/2020
Gross monthly salary: 3.041 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
Family posting possible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master’s degree level (international development, management, public health)
Public Health background or medical background is an asset
Human rights, political science Background is an asset
At least 2 years’ coordination experience in development/humanitarian context.
Extensive experience in project cycle management, M&E mechanisms
Strong experience in community-based project design and management, ideally in urban settings
Experience with empowerment and gender-based approaches
Team manager with a strong leadership
Preferable experience in health sector, and especially community health
Experience in Environmental health and/or Sexual and Reproductive Health is a strong asset
Experience in DRR is an asset
Fluent English writing/speaking skills, knowledge of French and/or Tagalog is an asset
Personal skills required:
Ability to coordinate, plan, anticipate
Ability to organise and manage priorities
Ability to mobilise around a common project/strategy
Skills in team management
Ability to work under a minimum of supervision
Strong problem solving and organisational skills
Impartiality; diplomacy; adaptability
People skills / representation skills
Respectful of local culture and willingness to learn from the Philippines team & partner
Highly flexible and diplomatic
Ability to work closely with communities and on community empowerment
Ability to remain calm in any circumstances
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Please use the following link to apply: http://www.jobs.net/j/JpGikFiQ?idpartenaire=128