Human Resources Analyst
UNDP’s Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) is UNDP`s Regional Bureau and advisory hub for the Europe and CIS region tasked with the responsibility to provide management, policy and programmatic support to UNDP´s development activities in the region. Throughout UNDP´s focus areas, it works towards increasing the impact of UNDP´s activities in the region by assisting Country Offices in development of country-level initiatives through advisory services and technical support and by implementing regional-level projects (Regional Program) in partnership with a wide range of partners supported to a global network of expertise. IRH also provides operational backstopping to countries with UNDP activities but without CO presence. Under the leadership of the Deputy Regional Director, the RBEC’s Regional Hub employs a multi-disciplinary team of specialists and advisors, project managers, operations and programme support staff. IRH hosts staff from RBEC, BPPS, BMS, BERA, OAI and other units. IRH is a common premise also with UNWomen and UNICEF. Total number of IRH personnel is over 150.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Advisor, the HR Analyst/HR Manager provides leadership in execution of the full range of IRH HR services ensuring their transparency and integrity. He/she analyses, interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, establishes internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Analyst/HR Manager promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and promotes the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Analyst supervises and leads the staff of the HR Unit. The HR Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the IRH and UNDP HQs staff ensuring successful performance in HR management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, analysis of parameters in support of proper design and functioning of the HR management system
- IRH HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on the strategic approach to recruitment, proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management.
Provides support to effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of recruitment processes including job/posts/positions descriptions/classifications, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and participation in the interview panels, interview reports preparation, reference checks, medical clearance and recruitment actions in Atlas;
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Compliance Review Panel and Board (CRP/CRB).
- Management of contracts in and outside Atlas. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
- Management of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit.
- Development and management of rosters.
- Ensuring smooth running of payroll for IRH and other offices’ payrolls supported by IRH.
- Facilitating payments done off payroll (living allowances paid for NRLAs and DAs, salary payments paid out of Atlas) in a timely fashion.
- Processing entitlements of internationally recruited staff members in an effective manner (Payment of relocation entitlements etc).
- Monitoring leave entitlements in Atlas
- Ensuring smooth exit management for departing staff members.
- Verification of cost-recovery charges in Atlas for HR services provided by IRH HR to other units and Agencies.
- Maintenance of the IRH staffing table and Organigram.
- Enabling close communication with HQ´s focal points pertaining to the correct administration of s/m entitlements and benefits.
Provides support to proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of requirements and elaboration of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process.
- Implementation of effective systems for the performance evaluation, including training to supervisor for an effective use of the tool leading to career development.
- Facilitating Talent Management Review Group (TMRG) sessions if/when required.
- Active participation in the IRH learning team
- Elaboration of proposals on and implementation of strategic staffing policies in line with career development.
Ensures conduct of UN and UNDP-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the salary surveys, hardship and place-to-place surveys in coordination with the supervisor.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the IRH focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization and conduct of training for operations/ programme staff on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in HR.
- Onboarding all newly recruited and reassigned personnel effectively.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ethics and Integrity
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
Creating synergies through self-control
Creating synergies through self-control
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Bachelor's Degree in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Master’s Degree as specified above OR Min 2 years of relevant experience (for candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree) at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Additional years of HR related experience will be considered as an asset.
- Relevant HR Certification will be considered as an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in using of Peoplesoft Oracle ERP System/Atlas will be a strong asset.
- Fluency in the English as well as Turkish is a prerequisite.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.