Technical Adviser (National Park Conservation and Management Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme is the first project that has been approved within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Support to capacity development for sustainable management and innovative development of national parks practices and systems.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads a comprehensive review of baseline assessment and diagnostic studies of national parks using internationally accepted methodologies and tools to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Benchmarks best practices and lessons learned from successful country experiences for sustainable management and development of national parks in Saudi Arabia;
• Develops, updates and supports implementation of procedures for registration and gazetting of national parks and eco-tourism sites;
• Conducts diagnostic study on private sector' investment suitability for selected key national parks for eco-tourism and other purposes using internationally accepted methods and develops and supports implementation of national park investment policy, regulations and procedures;
• Prepares and launches investment promotion campaigns and marketing programmes to demonstrate national parks’ investment opportunities and mobilize private investors;
• Conducts national technical and institutional capacity needs assessment to identify capacity gaps for sustainably managing and developing Saudi national parks as well as designs and supports implementation of a capacity development programme to strengthen and enhance these capacities;
• Develops and updates criteria and indicators for selecting and prioritizing national park and eco-tourism development sites and prepares and promotes eco-tourism master plans for selected sites applying best practices and internationally accepted standards;
• Prepares and supports implementation of guidelines and action plans to promote sustainable adoption of innovative practices and systems for national parks’ development, conservation and management;
• Prepares and supports implementation of a plan for the re-introduction and conservation of indigenous vegetation in national parks and establishes and initiates operation of a multiservice 'eco-museum centre' in a selected national park;
• Establishes and supports operationalization of a national parks management information system integrating social, cultural and economic and environmental information and develops, launches and updates online atlas for the Saudi Arabia national parks;
• Develops and supports implementation of a national multimedia public awareness programme for conservation and protection of Saudi national parks and natural heritage;
• Prepares and supports implementation of model national parks’ management and monitoring plan as well as designs and prepares protocols for the establishment of botanical gardens in the national parks of Saudi Arabia;
• Leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and the north for national parks management.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in parks conservation and management, natural resources management or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in national parks conservation and management, implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of parks conservation and management;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Demonstrated experience and proven records of successfully completing national park conservation and management assignments;
• Extent and relevance of demonstrated work experience related to successful implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of national park conservation and management;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in project management including familiarity with the development of results frameworks, logical framework, project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset