Support Services Manager- Mosul
Support Services Manager
Mosul (with travel across Ninewah, KRI, and Northern Iraq)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job:
The role has overall leadership responsibility for DRC’s operational management for DRC Mosul Area Office and its field bases across Northern Iraq, with oversight on Finance, Administration, HR, IT, and Logistics and Procurement. The role is directly responsible to support DRC’s programming across the Mosul Area Office and ensuring support functions are in accordance with operational standards per the DRC Operations Handbook and other DRC global and country-level guidelines.
Planning and strategy
- Ensure annual planning for support services is done and key performance indicators are met for Mosul Area Office
- Ensure project planning includes relevant support service requirements (such as lead times and appropriate budgets)
- Ensure resource mobilisation is realistic and fit for purpose to meet programme needs
- Ensure that Mosul Area Office retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response
- Lead on compliance self check, risk register, facilitation of internal and external audits, and relevant results contract for Mosul Area Office
- As required, support the scale-up and scale-down of Base and Area Office operations, including establishing operational presence in new geographic locations.
- Closely liaise with the leads of support functions in Country Office as required.
- Ensure support functions are sufficiently staffed to meet program delivery needs for the Mosul Area Office
- Provide regular constructive feedback to direct reports, following DRC’s Performance management procedures, and support direct reports in performance management of their team members
- Assess training and development needs for support and program teams across the Area Office and develop a capacity building plan for implementation.
- Lead on building high performing support teams for Mosul Area Office, with a focus on improving operational efficiencies while ensuring compliance with DRC Global, Country Level, and donor regulations
- Support succession planning of positions in line with DRC Iraq nationalization policy and guidelines.
HR & Admin
- Ensure monthly reports and key performance indicators are met by the department
- Support the HR team in delivering on key functions such as recruitment, trainings, contract management, facilitation of performance reviews, staff inductions, payroll preparation, personal income tax calculations, etc.
- Support the admin team to ensure follow up on key functions such as management of premises (office and guesthouse), visa applications, local-level registrations, utility services and bills, rental and lease agreements etc
- Monitor department KPIs and monthly reports; support the Supply Chain manager in improving KPIs and team efficiency
- Work with the Supply Chain Manager to ensure each of the sub departments (procurement, fleet, assets, warehouse and IT) is able to support Mosul Area Office operational needs in a timely manner.
- In coordination with Country Office, oversee the International Procurements conducted from Mosul to ensure compliance with internal procedures, donor regulations, and on-time delivery of tenders.
- Primary budget holder for all support service budgetlines for Mosul Area Office
- Responsible for budget monitoring, expense forecasting, and proposal budgeting for support costs
- Work with Finance Manager on capacity building of programme and support teams as relevant on financial compliance
- Support completion of key financial tasks, such as donor financial reports, payroll, social security payments, cashbooks and cash forecasts, etc - line with DRC SOPs and operations handbook
- Ensure an efficient and low risk liquidity management in the operation in accordance with DRC rules and regulations
- Support the roll-out and continuous functioning of DRC Dynamics (Enterprise Resource Planning System) including being a heavy user, training relevant teams in the Area Office, and leading on transition and data migration.
- Reporting to: Area Manager (Mosul)
- Direct Reports: Supply Chain Manager; Finance Manager; Human Resources & Admin Team Leader; IT Officer.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 5 years relevant humanitarian management experience
- Demonstrated experience in Supply Chain, HR and/or Finance
- Demonstrated experience in team management
- Experience in ERP systems highly desirable
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of key donor policy and compliance procedures
- Organizational and planning skills
- Strategic outlook and ability to anticipate problems
- Solution oriented approach to dealing with a fast changing and challenging work environment
- University level degree in humanitarian relevant field or comparable 5 years’ experience
- Formal training and qualification in Supply Chain, HR and/or Finance is desirable but not mandatory
Languages: (Reading and Writing)
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic - desirable
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Area Manager
- Head of Support Services
- Country Finance Manager
- Country HR Manager
- Country Supply Chain Manager
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 1 year
Designation of Duty Station: Mosul (with travel across Ninewah, KRI, and Northern Iraq)
Start date: 1 Feb 2020
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 11 December 2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo