Consultant for writing up a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability - http://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail email@example.com with Subject: Job ID 88910.
The “Strengthening Capacities for Post Disaster Needs Assessment and Recovery Preparedness” or PDNA Rollout II Project is currently being implemented by UNDP in alliance with the EU and World Bank. Main objective of this initiative is to contribute to building resilience of countries by enhancing national and regional capabilities to assess plan, implement and monitor post disaster recovery processes. One of the project results envisages that post disaster recovery processes are informed by international best practices and standard tools and guidelines.
The project will develop a Global Compendium, based on experiences of selected country offices, including Bosnia and Herzegovina. The compendium will help to understand the complexities of planning and implementing concrete post disaster recovery interventions while offering a number of solutions that can be replicated in similar environments at the national or local levels. The Global compendium is expected to:
- outline the procedure to identify, validate, and document successful programs, projects, processes or activities that have proven to be effective for post disaster recovery,
- promote the use of these practices in similar environments by raising the interest of local stakeholders and officials, and
- consolidate the selected practices in an accessible data base for the benefit of those interested in recovery implementation through different means including through e-options.
During May, 2014 heavy rains fell over Bosnia and Herzegovina, causing massive flooding in northern, eastern and central parts of the country bordering Croatia and Serbia. The floods are the worst in 120 years and have brought enormous destruction in a country amounting to total of 2 billion EUR of losses and damages. The natural disaster affected a quarter of the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina and approximately one million people, which is approximately 27% of the country’s population
UNDP managed to support authorities of Bosnia and Herzegovina in mobilizing, coordinating and effectively delivering financial resources for recovery. In partnership with the EU and other bilateral counterparts, a financial package of close to USD 100 million (primary financial contribution by the EU) has been fund-raised and consolidated in an integrated recovery intervention that is still ongoing.
Objective of this assignment is to contribute to Global Compendium on disaster recovery processes by writing up a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH, namely on build-back-better focused on energy efficiency that was practiced through BiH May 2014 Floods recovery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP DRR Project Manager, consultant for writing up a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH will provide detailed write up on good practice of BiH May 2014 Floods recovery efforts on build-back-better focused on energy efficiency. The case study should be written in English. The consultant will be supported by UNDP BiH country office and regional consultant engaged by UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub. The regional consultant and the national focal point will work together on the specific elements of the good practice that will be highlighted and presented. The description of the good practice should include the following elements: What are the highlights of the practice? Why these particular sets of actions worked? and How will they be maintained? Who were the actors involved? Can this practice be fully adopted or adapted by other communities? What is its cost-benefit parameters? and in fact, Which are the determinants for success?
The consultant, with support from UNDP, is responsible for gathering all necessary information, hard data, interviews with end users or beneficiaries of the practice, collect graphic material for example videos or photos as well as for illustrating as much as possible how the practice was developed and maintained. Practice write up is expected to be summarized in no more than 4 full pages, using word normal margins, Calibri 11 font with single line spacing. The proposed outline for the summary is as follows:
- Headings: Name of the Practice, Category of the practice and area of recovery that the practice is addressing.
- Summary: Explain briefly what the problem was, how the practice addressed it and the results that were accomplished. Focus on what was done in 300 words or one fourth of a page.
- Description: How the practice was undertaken, who participated, what was the cost, would it be able to be replicated, is it sustainable? Add tables and graphs as needed. Use the remainder of page 1 and use up to two additional pages to complete the description.
- Relevance to the practice of recovery: Discuss why this practice is relevant to strengthen recovery preparedness, assessments, planning and/or implementation in the country. How this practice could be linked to a broader recovery program/intervention. This should be written on one page including contact information
- Contact Information: 5 lines
In detail consultant is expected to:
- Deliver a workplan for the assignment that will include detailed list of relevant domestic and international documents that will be reviewed (regulations, policies, studies, methodologies, etc.) including best practices, list of interviews/meetings to be conducted with relevant domestic stakeholders. Final workplan will be approved by UNDP.
- Based on the analysed documents and conducted interviews, the consultant is expected to draft write up of a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH. Draft will be reviewed by UNDP BiH CO and regional consultant.
- Deliver final write up of a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH based on the received comments.
All tasks will be done in close collaboration with and support from local stakeholders and UNDP. The duration of this task is estimated to be 15 working days within 2 months including travel within BiH.
Deliverables / outputs
# of days per task
Draft write up on a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH submitted
30th December 2019
Final write up of a case study on Post-disaster Recovery in BiH based on the received comments submitted
10th January 2020
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Demonstrates ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and procedures quality results to meet established goals.
- Technical writing skills, formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Strong communication skills;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Knowledge and experience in communication and development;
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, disaster risk reduction, environment or development or other related fields.
- BA in combination with 2 additional years of working experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 7 years of relevant working experience in the areas of communication or development.
- Strong understanding of BiH development context.
- Proven knowledge and previous experience in developing analysis and communication materials.
- Proven knowledge and previous experience in disaster risk reduction is considered an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken BHS and English languages is required for this assignment.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 point would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
| || |
| || |
Long/Shortlisting Criteria (Qualifications)
max 30 points (20 points allocated for MSc/MA; + up to 10 points for PhD).
At least 7 years of relevant working experience in the areas of communication or development
max 30 points
Strong understanding of BiH development context
max 15 points (Assessed through sample of previous document/communication material/paper)
Knowledge of English
max 5 points - will be assessed as 5 points for fluency and the points decrease as per the level mentioned in the CV: good - 4 points; fair/upper intermediate – 3 points; intermediate - 2 points; beginner - 1 point.
Proven knowledge and previous experience in developing analysis and communication materials
max 20 points
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a sample of previous document/communication material/paper done by the consultant;
- Personal CV including relevant experience and contact details of at least 3 references;
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.