Recovery Return and Reintegration/Durable Solutions Associate (RRR/DS Associate)
The protracted displacement situation in Sudan is not only a highly destabilizing experience for the affected populations, it also poses a significant nationwide development challenge. Leaving IDPs in continued deprivation, without the prospect of a durable solution, is both a humanitarian concern as well as an obstacle to long-term peace, recovery and reconstruction.
To lay the foundation for durable solutions and to respond to the immediate needs as well as the underlying vulnerabilities of the estimated 2.7 million people in need. UNDP as a lead agency for the Recovery, Return and Reintegration (RRR) Sector's and through its partners will work to coordinate response through an area-based multi-sectoral response strategy. This strategy will contribute to HRP strategic objective “Contribute to building resilience to recurrent shocks and improving vulnerable people’s access to basic services by addressing immediate needs of IDPs and returning refugees and to the five UNDAF outcomes by addressing their underlying vulnerabilities.
The Recovery Return and Reintegration (RRR)/Durable Solutions (DS) Associate will work under overall guidance direct supervision of RRR Coordinator. The RRR/DS Associate will work in close collaboration with the programme team, procurement, and monitoring and evaluations staff within the Governance and Stabilisation (GSU) unit and the colleagues within the UNDP Sudan Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide program/administrative support in RRR Sector Coordination
- Support IDPs Durable Solutions Initiatives
- Provide Program, administrative and logistical support to Interagency missions for return monitoring and verifications:
- Support UNDP Project management and administration
1. Assist in RRR Sector Coordination focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- In collaboration with humanitarian community, VRRC, HAC and other government relevant bodies, assist in RRR sector coordination at Khartoum, State and the Localities levels;
- Compile and share all RRR sector information with all relevant stakeholders
- Update and maintain the RRR sector and its subsidiaries information, mailing lists and share reports and relevant information;
- Ensure and follow up on proper responses to needs of returnees.
- Collect and collate weekly updates and Monthly RRR reports and share with RRR coordinator, Co-leads and OCHA focal persons
2. Provide operational and programmatic support to IDPs Durable Solutions Initiatives focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provide operational and programmatic support to durable solutions coordination and Programmes;
- Organize and participate in durable solutions meetings, workshops and awareness sessions with relevant government, humanitarian bodies, ensuring outcomes/solutions reach the target communities/IDPs.
- Participate in preparation and drafting durable solution workplan and ensure endorsement of the plan by relevant governmental bodies, and support in implementation of the durable solution workplans.
3. Support Interagency missions for return monitoring and verifications focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- In collaboration with UNHCR, IOM, HAC and VRRCs, provide administrative and backup support for return, integration, resettlements, verification and registration missions;
- In close collaboration with UNDP travel unit, manage travel arrangements and DSA payments for meeting participants, consultants and government counter-parts;
4. Ensure effective UNDP Project management and administration support by focusing on the achievement of the following results;
- In liaison with the relevant teams, contribute to building project monitoring tools and updating assessment village reports;
- Provide programmatic and administrative support to UNDP Governance and Stabilization unit and, government counterparts as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to coordination with different partners across field offices and provide administrative support including initiating making transactions, liquidation and reporting.
- Sound knowledge of Durable Solutions and IDP’s Return issues and responses
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input and compile reports from different sources into one readable document.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education preferably with specialized certification in Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, and any other related fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years with Secondary Education, or 3 years with bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline of progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level.
- Proven working experience in inter-agency coordination on Humanitarian-development-Peace nexus, Early Recovery, Returns, Durable Solutions, preferably with UNDP or another UN agency. Previous working experience in Sudan and/or conflict- affected areas and experience in assisting IDPs, refugees, returnees and asylum seekers with a focus on returns and durable solutions would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.