Director for the Division of Education 2030
Post Number : ED-035
Grade : D-1
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 27-DEC-2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO, as the lead agency for Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Quality Education and within the context of its strategic transformation, is currently seeking a pro-active, visionary Director for the Division for Education 2030. The right candidate will be a seasoned leader, able to foster trust through an inclusive approach and inspire others.
S/he will oversee the effective performance of UNESCO’s international lead coordination role for the SDG agenda 2030. The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Division’s programme, including medium-term strategies, operational work plans and associated budgets. Further, s/he will ensure technical backstopping to UNESCO Field Offices in implementing the Division’s programme and activities. Specifically, the incumbent shall:Long Description
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership for the Division in the pursuit of its main goals. Oversee the development of the Division’s programmes, strategy, goals and objectives and be further accountable for implementing a result-based approach in translating the approved Division’s mandate into an effective programme delivery plan;
- Manage and design operational mechanisms and/or action plans required to support and ensure efficiency and effectiveness in operations;
- Develop principles and approaches in respect of policy support to Members States in; (i) implementation of the SDG 4 agenda (ii) education for inclusion, languages and gender equality (iii) higher education, (iv) education for migration, displacement and emergencies;
- Provide strategic vision, guidance and quality assurance of UNESCO’s international lead coordination role of the SDG agenda 2030;
- Establish, develop and sustain strong working relations with governments, agencies, NGOs, private sector, civil society and other partners of UNESCO;
- Maintain motivated and effective staff of the Division for the purpose of formulating, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating its programmes;
- Manage and coordinate the resource mobilization for the Division’s programmes.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, sciences or related social sciences fields.
- Minimum 15 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of education both at national and international level.
- Experience in strategic planning, change management and leading teams.
- Experience in resources mobilization and partnership development.
Skills and competencies
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision and priorities. Excellent knowledge of education policies at global level and international cooperation including thorough understanding of the Education 2030 agenda.
- Ability to accompany and lead change initiatives and persist in times of challenges.
- Good understanding of global trends and developments in higher education, education in emergencies and education for inclusion and gender equality.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills, a broad general culture and sound analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity, professional integrity and political astuteness.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management skills, capacity to administer financial resources and exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to provide intellectual leadership and motivate multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural environment, as well as ensure coaching and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French and good working knowledge of the other.
- A PhD in education, sciences or other related social science fields.
- Other degrees or short- to medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post.
- Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral cooperation and development.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Strong global professional network.
Skills and competencies
- Understanding of UNESCO’s strategic direction and familiarity of UNESCO’s operations.
- Knowledge of agile working methodology.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.