Regional Advisor (Regional TB Programme)
Regional Advisor (Regional TB Programme)
Position no 173497
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objective of the programme is to reduce mortality and transmission of tuberculosis and drug resistance until it no longer poses a threat to public health. The unit is responsible for strengthening of prevention, control and ending tuberculosis in the countries of the Region in line with the aims, principles and approaches of End TB Strategy as part of the Universal Health Coverage and overall development agenda.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Develop and promote Regional End TB Strategy, policies and approaches in EMR, in line with the latest WHO strategies, guidelines, recommendations and aligned to the Member States context.
2. Identify EMR priorities for ending tuberculosis, develop, coordinate, and monitor regional work plans.
3. Support and promote tuberculosis as part of communicable disease control/elimination agenda, AMR initiative and as an integral component of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the agenda of universal health coverage (UHC).
4. Lead drug resistant TB prevention, management, control and elimination strategy and implementation activities in EMR.
5. Provide technical guidance to Member States and partners through policy analysis and development of appropriate frameworks for adoption and implementation of End TB strategy to reach its goals and targets taking into account the national health, socio-economic requirements and context.
6. Develop/update the national strategic plans ensuring these are in line with Global strategies, Regional Strategic Plans and latest WHO recommendation.
7. Provide technical expertise and advice, and management support during the implementation, to address challenges encountered by Member States.
8. Establish pool of high quality technical experts, assess Member States technical assistance needs, coordinate provision of technical assistance. Promote establishment of WHO collaboration centers for tuberculosis.
9. Proactively engage with and build productive partnerships with UN agencies, bi/multi-lateral agencies, technical, and donor agencies. Foster building effective national partnership at country level involving all concerned public and private sectors, NGO, CBOs, civil societies and communities.
10. Mobilize and manage human and financial resources for End TB in EMR. Direct and supervise the programme staff to ensure the appropriateness, relevance and quality of work guiding the Member States in updating and implementing End TB strategies and plans.
11. Lead efforts for resource mobilization for Member States and advocate for sustainable and domestic financing.
12. Develop/upgrade regional surveillance system on tuberculosis and use of digital technologies in line with the general surveillance system of the communicable diseases and closely monitor the epidemiological situation of tuberculosis in the Member States of the Region.
13. Represent WHO to the governments of Member States and partners and be responsible for making decisions in line with the Organization's End TB principles and policies.
14. Promote inter-country and sub-regional coordination and cooperation particularly in respect to the planning and coordinated activities for the control of tuberculosis of common interests.
15. Initiate/promote tuberculosis research initiatives, drug resistance surveys/surveillance and other research surveys in countries of the region.
16. Perform other related duties as required including participation in technical meetings representing WHO and take acting responsibilities for other staff members in the division.
Essential\: Master's degree in Medicine, Public Health or related field, with a specialization in tuberculosis.
Desirable\: WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited institution
Essential\: At least ten years' experience combined at national and international level in the management of communicable diseases control programmes particularly of tuberculosis and drug resistant tuberculosis control. Within this experience, demonstrated professional experience at the regional or country level delivering and managing public health programmes while providing technical advice and support to regional and or country level counterparts.
Desirable\: Field experience in tuberculosis control activities in the developing countries and development of surveillance system.
Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a global health programme .
Sound judgment and decision making skills to identify the key issues in a complex situation, and find solutions to problems and takes decisions with an eye to the impact on stakeholders and counterparts and on the Organization.
Proven ability in managing resources and partnership.
Excellent communication skills to provide expert advice on substantive issues and to defend and explain difficult issues with respect to action plans and WHO's position during advocacy events and meetings.
Excellent knowledge of the core values and policies of the World Health Organization, UN system and donor community.
WHO global Competencies model at http\://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=11-Teamwork
2-Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
4-Moving forward in a changing environment
5-Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
6-Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential\: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable\: Intermediate knowledge of French. Intermediate knowledge of UN Language.
WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 87,108 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 1996 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link\: http\://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- For assessment of your application, please ensure that\:
- Your profile is properly completed and updated;
- All required details regarding your qualifications, education and training are provided;
- Your experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CVs/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible.