Special Assistant to Deputy Executive Director (Management), Office of the Executive Director, New York, P-4
New York City (United States of America)
The Special Assistant post is located in the Office of the Executive Director (OED) and reports directly to the Deputy Executive Director (Management) and functionally to the Chief of Staff, Office of the Executive Director.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Under the direction and supervision of the DED (M), the Special Assistant provides support to the DED (M) to carry out the range of responsibilities to effectively and efficiently respond to management and policy issues; and, assists the DED (M) and the OED in the development and provision of strategy and policy guidance, as applicable. Under the guidance of the DED/M and Chief of Staff, OED, works as part of the OED team to support various OED functions and initiatives.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced university degree, in business administration, law, social sciences public health related field;
Knowledge and Experience:
• 7 years of relevant, progressive, professional level experience required;
• Superior writing and editing skills required;
• Highly developed judgment, discretion, sense of confidentiality required;
• Inter-agency/equivalent and field experience desirable;
• Familiarity with the workings of the UN, UN reform and UNFPA’s policies procedures and programmes highly desirable.
Excellent command of English in speaking and writing required; good knowledge of French and/or Spanish desirable;