Director of Programs (WFP), Iraq
Are you an experienced Livelihoods & Agriculture leader with a longing to serve as the hands and feet of Christ? Samaritan’s Purse in Iraq is looking for a Director of Livelihood & Agriculture Programs to oversee a large externally funded project focusing on livelihood, agriculture, and nutrition through cash grants, provision of greenhouses, rehabilitation of grain storage facilities through contractor and cash for work activities, and community nutrition. Intrigued? Read on to see if you could be the one to answer the call!
Description of Job Duties:
- Implements a World Food Program (WFP)-funded livelihood and agriculture program as the project’s main field operator for Samaritan's Purse in Nimrud and Sinjar. Travel to Sinjar area will also be required.
- Provides overall strategy and vision for the project while meeting project goals and objectives in Nimrud and Sinjar.
- Leads and manages successfully the implementation of the agriculture and livelihood activities (including agriculture cash grants distribution, agriculture trainings, cash for work activities, community nutrition activities, greenhouse distribution and grain storage facility rehabilitation)
- Drafts timely and accurate monthly reports, assessment reports, quarterly reports, final reports and financial reports.
- Closely monitors project implementation activities and ensures all activities are conducted in accordance with the agreed work-plans, proposals, guidelines.
- Provides leadership, support, and guidance to assigned staff and contractors, including:
- Planning, assigning, and directing work
- Appraising performance
- Rewarding and disciplining employees
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Builds capacity, trains staff and develops teamwork.
- Coordinates with local authorities, government agencies, and the participants to ensure the timely completion of activities to the maximum benefit of those involved.
- Advises in the negotiation of terms of contracts with private and governmental agencies.
- Identifies and designs ideas for further livelihood and agricultural programming in the area.
- Coordinates with logistics for procurement, warehousing, and delivery.
- Stewards the budget faithfully in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse and WFP finance protocols.
- Works with leadership on forecasting expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable timely adjustments to the program.
- Ensures accountability, adequate reporting, and grant compliance.
- Attends daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors, and volunteers.
- Attends relevant Cluster meetings.
- Maintains a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university with a degree in agriculture, development, engineering, civil engineering, or other related field. Four years of technical working experience in development projects either in agriculture/livelihoods or cash projects required (engineering experience is a plus )
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of agriculture, food processing and storage systems (experience working with contractors and around construction sites is a plus)
- Prior experience managing a team of staff.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of different educational, linguistic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Experience working and living overseas preferred, with ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Strong relational skills and financial management experience preferred.
- Fluent spoken and written English required, Arabic skills preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel.
This is an unaccompanied assignment.
This position subject to approval of funding.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
To receive consideration for this position, please submit application, resume, and cover letter through the following link: