Protection Officer - PSS
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Protection Officer - PSS
About the Job
To directly provide psycho-social support to individuals and groups and PFA where needed, and to contribute to the technical direction of PSS programming, including on-going curriculum development, staff training and mainstreaming of PSS into all protection activities.
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising.
This role has a field office focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the assigned area. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Programming & Operations
- Understand and follow up on activities and assess progress of implementation, provide solutions and report issues when needed
- Refer protection cases to respective officer and/or Protection Team Leader; including updating relevant databases on referrals and feedback
- Provide technical guidance on facilitation skills, and PSS key messages and communication skills
- Provide technical guidance on community-based PSS programming and identify outreach opportunities for innovative community based protection activities
- Efficiently manage the time and schedule of PSS team through work-plans in collaboration with Protection Team Leader and Protection Manager
- Provide individual and group counseling for GBV survivors, and other survivors of violence
- Identify and refer clients with mental health issues that warrant clinical intervention
- Provide PSS capacity building for protection staff and PSS teams
- Prepare and implement PSS curriculum for GBV survivors and other targeted groups
- Support the mainstreaming of PSS key messages and principles to other programs and projects
Coordination and representation
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings as requested
- Maintain strict protocols for safety, international and national standards of MHPSS and confidentiality and consent;
To be successful in this role, you must have University degree in Psychology or Counselling Psychology degree.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 2-3 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Field experience in PSS
- Bachelor degree in psychology, PSS
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Native level proficiency in Arabic
- Advanced English proficiency; fluency in Turkish desirable
- Experience working in the humanitarian field (preferably experience from southern Turkey)
- Experience in protection activities and/or social or health sector.
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in Turkey and the region
- Experience working with Syrian refugees
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn from others
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 11 Months (renewable dependent on both funding and performance)
Employment Band: H - Non-manager
Designation of Duty Station: Kilis Office
Start date: 01.02.2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 09.01.2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.