Requisition ID: req6841
Job Title: Senior Program (Business) Development Advisor, West Africa
Sector: Awards Management
Contract: Regular / Permanent
Working Hours: Full-Time
Location: Washington DC, USA, New York or London, UK
Program (Business) Development Advisor, West Africa will lead IRC’s new business development efforts by engaging with global, regional, country, and technical staff through the proposal development cycle from opportunity tracking and capture planning to proposal development, and submission. The SPDA will primarily serving as proposal manager, s/he will also train and mentor staff throughout the department on topics relevant to business development. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record of leading new business efforts in international development with USAID, DFID, EU, ECHO, and other multilateral and bilateral donors.
- Manage the process of development of concept papers, project proposals and responses to key RFA/Ps. This includes writing and coordinating proposal elements (e.g. past performance, management plan, etc.), ensuring appropriate technical review and quality assurance.
- Lead proposal development in response to requests for proposals, including those for field based projects and large global opportunities. This will involve management of proposal teams, calendars, and deadlines; strategy development with technical staff; partner identification and negotiations; recruiting; writing; production; and after-action reviews.
- Lead on advising other IRC departments when required on USG DFID, EU contract terms and implication for structuring proposal budgets, targets, and deliverables.
- Build the capacity of other IRC staff—including IRC country and regional teams—to identify opportunities and develop strong program designs and proposals.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of USG, DFID, EU and other donor funding priorities, geographical interests relevant to IRC’s area of work. Knowledge of AFD a plus.
- Build and strengthen relationships with internal stakeholders (HQ-based regional and technical units, as well as IRC country offices).
- Provide IRC’s country, regional, and technical teams with guidance on USG, DFID, EU, and other donor policies and prepare standard language for proposals to ensure alignment with donor policies.
- Contribute to business development systems, tools, and process improvement initiatives.
- Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Participates in developing proposal training for the organization.
- Master’s degree in relevant field, including international relations, political science, public administration, and communications.
- Fluency in French and English required and experience working in West Africa.
- Five years plus of experience writing grants and developing funding proposals for a non-profit organization.
- Experience working with US Government (USAID, OFDA, BPRM, etc.), DFID, EU institutions (ECHO, DG, EUTF), and other European donors.AFD experience a plus.
- Substantial experience and a successful track record leading large proposal teams on complex subject, multi-year, multi-partner proposals with minimal supervision.
- Experience in proposal budgeting a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate equally effectively with colleagues in ‘remote’ and diverse teams, including as team leader for proposals.
- The ability to work productively and accurately while under pressure in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work in a team environment and independently and ability to meet unexpected demands.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to travel internationally (up to 20% of time).
This position can be based in Washington, DC, New York, NY or London, UK.