Shelter and Infrastructure Officer-Construction
Title: Shelter and Infrastructure Officer-Construction
No of Position :One
Employment category: H2
Reports to: Program Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 9 Months
Posting date: February 10, 2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Over all purpose of the role
Reporting to the Program manager; this position will provide day to day supervision of Construction and infrastructure activities. This includes responsibility for all other sectors construction activities assigned under its control.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Continuously supervises on quality and material utilization control in the field
- Prepare bills of quantities, breakdowns estimate and technical specifications for various construction and infrastructural activities.
- Carry-out technical assessments.
- Supervise ongoing construction and rehabilitation projects on the sites.
- Quality control of material and the implemented activities.
- Oversees construction and infrastructure activities
- Conducts frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address construction problems
- Submits daily, weekly and monthly report to the immediate supervisor every Friday and as require.
- Participate in relevant meetings with community leaders, block leader, ARRA and UNHCR.
- Directly supervises Artisan Team as agreed with the program manager
- Other relevant duties as directed by the Program Manager.
Monitoring, Reporting and Development:
- Develops Activities and material Monitoring and tracking Tools
- Planning and organizing of work schedules, project team member monitoring and guidance.
- Quality control and site monitoring ensuring that services are in accordance to SPHERE standards
- Beneficiaries’ list data collection and field verification
- Continuously update project documentation and files
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Preferably educated in Civil Engineering or relevant field with minimum of 2 years of proven experience
- Conversant with all MS-Office software applications; Excellent computer Aided Design skills, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD etc
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Excellent personnel management skills, including diplomacy, communication and negotiating skills;
- Experience in staff training and capacity building
- Experience for working in complex, refugee contexts and hardship locations
- Results-oriented and demonstrated ability to build partnerships
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in any disciple relating to Civil Engineering/ Construction
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Good verbal and written proficiency in English and Amharic; Arabic or Anyway is advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than February 24,2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.