Senior Research Scientist in High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
Post Number : 1ITSC0804TP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 24-MAR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers
Under the supervision of the Section Head, the incumbent leads the sub-group of Research Scientists, coordinates front-line research in own field of expertise and may provide leadership to one of the ICTP Programmes. Essential responsibilities include:Long Description
Scientific Research Leadership
- Identify, develop and implement innovative research projects, ensuring that the research team stays on top of the latest scientific achievements.Select the research fellows for the projects. Report on the results of the research at major international meetings.
- Collaborate with leading research institutions worldwide to exchange scientific information and promote joint research and scientific collaboration programmes.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior members of the sub-group, as well as to post-doctoral fellows, associates and visitors that collaborate on these research projects and serve as their scientific supervisor as needed.
- Provide general scientific guidance and advice to fellows, associates and other visitors to the Centre.
- Provide authoritative advice to the Division Director on programme planning and implementation.
- Ensure that all high level needs, such as agreements and funding, within the ICTP or with other stakeholders, needed for the proper running and success of these programmes are in place and functioning.
- Assess requests and proposals submitted and ensure timely completion of the selection procedures and start of the different programmes through coordination with the entire scientific faculty as well as with external stakeholders.
- Interact with national and international institutions and scientists to stimulate and garner support for the activities.
- Meet with the Division Director and Group and Programme leads on a regular basis to ensure that the programmes capture the needs of developing countries and complement each other.
- Coordinate the work of Research Scientists, contributing technical expertise to the programme, and support staff.
Education and Training
- Participate in the selection of the Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D. students as required by ICTP programmes.
- Teach in the Diploma programme and supervise Diploma students' thesis. Provide scientific supervision to and mentor M.Sc & Ph.D. students.
- Teach in the International programmes of the ICTP, both those held at ICTP and elsewhere.
Scientific Organization and Outreach
- Establish wide cooperation with scientists from developing countries and identify their scientific needs. Formulate recommendations on how to address these needs within ICTP programmes.
- Organise ICTP meetings and external activities in own field of research predominantly in developing countries.
- Apply for and manage individual research grants.
- Participate in the programmes of ICTP Partner Institutes.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Building partnerships (M) Driving and managing change (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Making quality decisions (M) Managing performance (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Physics or related disciplines.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in the fields of theoretical high energy physics with emphasis on string theory, holography, and black hole physics with a proven record of scientific leadership.
- Internationally recognized research achievements in the fields above.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a multicultural environment.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Relevant experience acquired at the international level.
- Good fund raising skills.
Working knowledge of Italian.
Knowledge of other official languages of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.