Senior Scientist, Laboratory Services Team
Boston (United States of America)
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
The Laboratory Services Team (LST) plays the lead role at CHAI in increasing access to screening and monitoring technologies across a range of priority diseases, including HIV, TB, viral hepatitis, cervical cancer and others. The team works closely with governments, multilateral organizations, and diagnostics manufacturers to improve supply pricing and terms and to expand access to current technologies and accelerate the entry and uptake of new innovative diagnostic tools and products that improve service delivery for people living in resource-constrained settings. LST's work often catalyzes the market in an environment where funding streams are limited. LST works with countries to build a healthy, competitive global market for novel diagnostic products that bring improve access to healthcare for patients and facilitate timely clinical interventions. These include both point-of-care and laboratory-based technologies. LST also works to ensure optimized diagnostic networks and improved data and logistic systems. As part of these goals, a deep understanding of the scientific and technical aspects of diagnostic and related systems to inform program design and policy decisions is essential, as well as the articulation and generation of evidence on the accuracy, feasibility and impact of novel tests or service delivery approaches. The Senior Scientist, as lead of LST's technical team, will oversee the generation of this important evidence to promote and advise on the successful introduction, adoption and scale up of high quality, affordable, fit-for-purpose testing and monitoring tools.
CHAI is seeking a Senior Scientist to oversee the research and technical portfolio of work on LST. (S)he will direct the collation, articulation, presentation and training on scientific and technical information on diagnostic technologies and their use and impact and on ancillary health systems. (S)he will also oversee operational and diagnostic accuracy research to ensure it is appropriately targeted, well-designed and executed to directly inform the development of global and national policies and plans to expedite access to and scale up of impactful diagnostic services. (S)he will lead a team of other technical members of LST who assist in the generation and articulation of high-quality evidence in disease control programs including the design, execution, analysis and dissemination of research. (S)he will serve as an expert resource for LST, country teams and other global program teams at CHAI to advise on diagnostic technical issues, to apply scientific expertise to the design of health programs, and to elucidate the scientific basis of specific diagnostic tests. This includes advising on the commodity requirements to conduct diagnostic tests and how these relate to the context into which testing products are introduced, supporting the trainings required to perform and interpret diagnostic tests. The Senior Scientist will collaborate across multiple internal and external stakeholders and balance multiple disease areas. (S)he is also responsible for ensuring that the technical merits of pipeline products are understood and is responsible for keeping attune of new diagnostic innovations and scientific developments that would enable improved patient management and achievement of public health goals recognized as priorities across CHAI programs and disease teams. (S)he will work across several disease areas, which may include HIV, TB, viral hepatitis, cervical cancer and others.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with strong scientific credentials, direct implementation experience in resource-constrained settings, excellent communication skills and deep commitment to contributing towards achieving CHAI's strategic goals. The Senior Scientist must be able to function independently and flexibly, prioritize across multiple workstreams, and manage both internal and external collaborations. This position will report directly to the Director of Programs, LST. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
This position will be based in the United States, with the opportunity to work remotely. This position may also be based in a CHAI program country pending leadership approval.
- Lead the design of new research and provide oversight of ongoing research efforts that addresses critical diagnostic gaps, both globally and country-specific
- Oversee, and lead where appropriate, the development and execution of human subjects' research protocols, ensuring compliance with relevant standards and policies
- Oversee, indirectly, country-level implementation of research studies and pilots
- Support the development of disease-specific control strategies that are grounded in scientific evidence, particularly the screening and testing components,
- Support the scoping of new diagnostic products, including pipeline support for products in development and input on target product profiles
- Identify gaps in current infectious disease diagnosis and monitoring to inform existing strategy and contribute to future fundraising opportunities, which may include conducting informal literature searches or formal systematic reviews
- Work with governments to support key policy decisions that have the potential for significant public health impact. Collaborate with other national stakeholders and partners both directly and through participation in National Technical Working Groups and Guideline Review committees for the development of supportive health programs and guidance
- Serve as a technical resource for LST, other CHAI program teams, and CHAI country teams through preparation of explanatory decks and briefs, delivery of webinars, etc.
- Engage with manufacturers to understand product offerings both in-development and already on market to promote appropriate uptake of high quality, accurate, impactful solutions
- Inform the definition of priority products for market shaping interventions and support negotiations with suppliers on technical issues where needed
- Represent CHAI at global technical forums and groups and fostering and maintaining relationships with counterparts in key stakeholders
- Direct supervision of other technical team members responsible for scientific and technical workstreams, managing their deliverables and the execution of their work
- Other responsibilities as needed