Head of Unit (Arab States Region)
Post Number : PAX 307
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Priority Africa and External Relations Sector (PAX)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: External Relations
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-APR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Head of Unit of the Arab States Region is responsible for promoting and strengthening relations and cooperation with Member States, regional organisations and relevant networks of the Arab States region. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Section for Relations with Member States, under the overall supervision of the Director of External Relations and the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Priority Africa and External Relations.
The incumbent will prepare relevant analysis for senior management, to support decision-making on policies and modalities of cooperation with concerned Member States and regional organisations.
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Provide advice and backstopping as regards overall relations and cooperation with concerned Member States, regional organizations, as well as National Commissions and UNESCO Field Offices in coordination with relevant colleagues.
- Coordinate and prepare briefings, background papers and notes on cooperation, as well as relevant developments with concerned Member States and the region, for the purposes of the senior management of the Organisation – including support the preparation and follow-up of relevant meetings and missions of the Director-General.
- Develop and maintain close relations with concerned Member States, including Permanent Delegations, with a view to supporting and strengthening cooperation.
- Support coordination with UNESCO Field Offices, including by facilitating and advising them in relations with Headquarters.
- Coordinate, update, and synthesize information and documentation on relevant developments with concerned Member States and UNESCO’s cooperation with them, as well as with relevant regional and sub-regional organizations, in cooperation with UNESCO Field Offices.
- Ensure coherent country and regional approaches to develop and sustain UNESCO’s cooperation with concerned Member States and regional organizations, including through the identification and development of new partnerships as relevant.
- Ensure effective management of the unit and support the overall work of the Section and Division, including in relation to the UNESCO Governing Bodies, the Executive Board and General Conference.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Building partnerships (M) Managing performance (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University Degree (equivalent to Master’s level) in the field of International Relations, or in another related area, preferably with a focus on the Arab States region.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience in the field of diplomacy, preferably with reference to the Arab States region.
- Relevant experience at the international level.
- Experience in development of analytical and strategic documents and advice.
- Experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.
- Commitment to and knowledge of the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Excellent geopolitical knowledge of the Arab States region.
- Excellent coordination management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills, including demonstrated ability to provide high-level advice.
- Ability to communicate, advocate, and negotiate with colleagues, staff and stakeholders at all levels within and outside the Organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and motivate teams in a mutlicultural environment.
- Sense of diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other.
- Good knowledge of Arabic.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations system.
- Experience in conducting dialogue with representatives of Member States.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of current international affairs.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.