Director, UNESCO Office in Tehran
and UNESCO Representative to the Islamic Republic of Iran and TurkmenistanOVERVIEW
Post Number : 4IRPAX0001RP
Grade : D-1
Parent Sector : Priority Africa and External Relations Sector (PAX)
Duty Station: Teheran
Job Family: Field Operations Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-APR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director-General, the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Priority Africa and External Relations (ADG/PAX), in close consultation with the Assistant Directors-General of the five programme sectors, and with the Directors of the UNESCO Regional and Cluster Offices in the Asia Pacific region for project planning, implementation, evaluation and reporting, the incumbent will act as the Director of UNESCO Office in Tehran and UNESCO Representative to the Islamic Republic of Iran and Turkmenistan.
The incumbent will work within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategies (C/4), approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5s), as well as within the framework of international agreed development agendas as Agenda 2030, in particular as regards to their regional and sub-regional dimensions.
The core result, for which the incumbent will be responsible, is the positioning of UNESCO as a trusted development partner in the countries covered by the Office (Afghanistan, Islamic Republic of Iran, Pakistan and Turkmenistan). Other results are the establishment and implementation of the multidisciplinary programme of the Office in close cooperation with the wider United Nations system; the effective and efficient management of the Office’s operations, resources, premises and assets; and the establishment and implementation of robust external relations and partnerships.
Moreover, the incumbent will participate, or ensure participation of the Office, in the activities of the United Nations at the national level in the Islamic Republic of Iran and Turkmenistan.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO’s mandate, public or business administration or international relations.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system or within other international or national institutions, including a wide experience in development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Experience in advocacy, resources and partnership mobilization.
Skills and Competencies
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Proven skills in administration and the management of financial and human resources.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and financial resources, as well as to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners, and demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, as well as exercise supervision and control and ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in English and good knowledge of French. Training will be mandatory in order to acquire the required level of the second working language in a reasonable timeframe
- Courses/degree in a management-related field.
- Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral cooperation, development.
- Experience in conducting policy dialogue at government and non-government levels or public and private sectors.
- At least five (5) years of working experience in non-Headquarters duty station(s).
Skills and Competencies
- Broad general culture, good geopolitical knowledge of the region and sound analytic capacities.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take initiative and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of the United Nations system.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
This is a Fixed Term appointment of an initial two (2) years with a Maximum Term of six (6) years.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.