Motor Vehicle Technician
Torit (South Sudan)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Motor Transport Officer,Torit, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct repair and maintenance services on United Nations Owned Equipment (UNOE) including 4x4s, Bus Light & Medium (Ford/Nissan), Trucks Medium/Heavy (Renault/Iveco) and Forklifts in accordance with manufacturer specifications, ensuring all safety procedures are followed when repairing and fitting replacement spare parts;
- Perform routine/emergency related to electrical, vehicle air-conditioning and hydraulic repairs as well as maintenance of the United Nations Owned Equipment (UNOE);
- Check and install Carlog as required, downloading data/updating vehicle Carlog system and following maintenance to the same;
- Conduct vehicle/truck recoveries and roadside repairs in the field or area of responsibilities;
- Assist in vehicle road test upon completion of vehicle maintenance;
- Ensure that workshop is adequately equipped with safety tools/equipment, and ensure those equipment are in compliance with the approved existing health and safety guidelines and regulations;
- Assist in vehicle maintenance and repair documentation, assigning spare parts and manpower cost to service orders through Umoja system;
- Coach, mentoring and sharing experience with national colleagues to develop their work performance and professional skills in the respective specialized area;
- Prepare and maintain warehouse inventory records, weekly and monthly technical reports and submitting to the workshop supervisor in accordance with the established UN procedures and deadlines;
- Process of vehicle write-off cases in accordance to the established procedures;
- Conduct vehicle inspection during handover of vehicles to UN staff. This inspection involves capturing of vehicle details , checking for damages, checking for missing tools and other fitted equipment eg. communication equipment;
- Perform additional related duties as and when assigned by the Supervisor.
- Degree or appropriate technical qualification in vehicle transport maintenance management, or equivalent combination of education, relevant professional training in ground transport operations.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in ground transport operations.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Technical knowledge (mechanical, hydraulic and electrical) for all types of light and heavy vehicles and vehicular equipment such as Material Handling Equipment (MHE), engineering, airport ground handling, and all types and make of Caterpillar machines and armored vehicles;
- General knowledge of transport operations and fleet management and spare parts warehouse management with working knowledge of past UN field mission and self-supportive computer literacy is an added asset;
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications; Excel, Word and other IT applications;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 08-04-2020