Summary of Responsibilities: Deputizing the Grants Coordinator, this position will provide high level grant and budget management for the IRC Somalia Grants Unit. The IRC Somalia Grants Unit acts as the formal coordination point between IRC departments, including programs, operations, finance, and global headquarters. This position will also liaise between the regional office and Somalia program with regards to grants strategy, compliance, capacity building and implementation of the IRC Somalia SAP.
Within this Grant Unit, the Senior Grants Manager will primarily oversee the budget management of the IRC Somalia portfolio and support the Grants Coordinator with program cycle management.
This includes leading standard grant specific meetings, reporting, and budget monitoring, as well as, implementing partner communications. Organization, flexibility, leadership, and initiative are all key attributes to this position as it often involves independently solving unique issues as they occur while managing competing deadlines.
Purpose of the Role
The Senior Grants Manager - Budgets and Compliance works supports the Grants team by managing the day-to-day budget development and monitoring toensure that budget and spending issues are immediately attended to and ensures that donor budgets are prepared in accordance with IRC and donor requirements and are submitted on time.(S)He will develop budget management tools and conduct trainings to improve efficiency, donor reporting and compliance.
Budget Development and Management:
- Act as focal point for new budget preparations for the country program. Under the guidance of the Grants Coordinator and in coordination with Financial Controller, prepares budgets for new proposals and revises existing budgets, ensuring that all costs are covered and are not under/over budgeted in addition to ensure accurate use of IRC and donor budget formats.
- Prepare monthly Budget versus Actual (BvA) reports as per donor format on a monthly/regular basis for all active grants and distribute to the budget holders on time.
- Prepare and update spending plans and costed workplans for all active grants in conjunction with designated budget holders. Reviews budget spending and advises relevant staff on spending status. Requests feedback on all over/under spending.
- Participate in regular Project Cycle Meetings including Grants Opening, regular BVA/Grants review, closure meeting etc.
- Liaise with Finance Department to ensure that financial reports are accurate, donor compliant and submitted on time.
- Work with Finance and Senior Management to monitor staff access and use of the BvA System.
Compliance and Grants Management:
- Liaise with NY and European based Awards Management Unit, Regional Unit and technical units to ensure internal standards are met and are donor compliant.
- Ensure that all grants are implemented in compliance with the relevant donor regulations and that all grant-related information is fully available to country program staff.
- Manage all reporting deadlines, coordinate, and consolidate report as necessary to ensure documents are of the highest quality and in line with donor requirements.
- Ensure that guidance is followed for Project Cycle Meetings both within IRC, and with partners, including preparation of all necessary materials, follow-through, taking a lead as necessary.
- Keep hard and soft grant files up to date; create and manage opportunities on the IRC grant management system OTIS.
- Oversight of the sub-partner management process in accordance with IRC’s subaward management process PEERs.
Information Management and Capacity Building
- Respond to information requests from field staff and other partner organizations.
- Support in the preparation of information and communication materials, such as fact sheets, contributions to the IRC’s global communications and other documents as needed
- Act as custodian of documentation of institutional knowledge and programme activities in coordination with relevant sector supervisors and coordinators
- Maintain comprehensive electronic files for Programs teams to have access to relevant records.
- Liaise with IRC headquarters to ensure they have complete and up-to-date documentation of all information
- Conduct trainings for staff as needed on grants management and compliance, reporting, sub-partner management process and project cycle management.
Donor Relations and Communications
- Liaise with donors and potential donors, and other operational partners, including through attendant at meetings and representing IRC and its interests by maintaining positive and constructive relations
- In coordination with relevant colleagues, respond to requests from donors for compliance information and respond to donor compliance questions as needed.
- Facilitate and participate in donor visits and/or meetings as per the agreed timeline of visits.
- Support the coordination of proposal development, working with program staff and ensuring proper review at the HQ level, gathering input from technical coordinators, technical advisors, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, and the Regional Unit.
- Review budgets, write budget narratives, edit proposals, and ensure proper proposal and grant management procedures are followed.
- Liaise with NY and UK grant units to ensure proposals meet internal standards, apply IRC Program Framework principles and are donor compliant
- Participate in all internal program strategy meetings with senior management team
- Support the realization of key grants-related milestones and activities within the Somalia Strategic Action Plan
- Perform over relevant duties as assigned by Senior Management Team to assist the country program in implementation of the Strategy Action Plan
- Maintain close communication and positive working relations with partners
- Adherence to IRC policies and procedures is required