Security Health and Safety Senior Assistant
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services.
The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The Security Health and Safety Senior Assistant works under the guidance and supervision of the Field Security Advisor, within the Support Services team and in close coordination with the Programme Managers and the office management team. S/he provides a comprehensive range of specialized and administrative support services for the management of security and safety operations. The Security Health and Safety Senior Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and UN Security Management System policies. S/he is responsible for resolving security related issues and information exchange in a timely fashion.
Functions and Key Results Expected
Technical Support Services
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing.
1.Technical Support Services
Provides general administrative services for the work area, managing the information flow, following up on the timeliness of responses for initiatives, correspondence, and queries, with internal and external stakeholders, including Security Focal Points of UN agencies and UNDSS;
Organizes meetings and briefings, arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telecommunications, answering queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings as directed by supervisors.
Prepares reports, tables, databases, charts, etc., applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting.
Facilitates emergency communications by operating specialized data-communication equipment, including satellite telephone, VHF, HF, etc.
Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files / documents, ensuring the security of data and other sensitive information.
Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement.
Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Security Health and Safety Senior Assistant effects the overall efficiency of the relevant business unit in relation to security matters, compliance with the UN Security Management System policies, guidelines and advisories, and the effective delivery of programmes and projects. Timely and accountable delivery of services, contributes to improved safety and security for UNOPS personnel and assets. This promotes the image of the office and enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region serve.
- Completion of secondary school is required. First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- Relevant certification in security related studies is a distinct advantage.
A minimum of five years of relevant experience in security or operations’ services is required in national or international, public or corporate organizations, including in the following areas: Incident reporting, security administration support, security communication, telecommunication and warden system.
Prior experience with the UN system or international NGOs is desirable.
Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office), and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Knowledge of Telecommunication (including HF and VHF) Possession of a valid driver’s license is requirement
- Full fluency in Arabic and English is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contractual Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level: Local ICA Support 5
- Contract duration Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Damascus is NOT a family duty station.
- This position is a local position open to nationals.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.